Chapter Seventeen: Loss

Arthur knew something was wrong but the first person I needed to find was Micah. I pushed past Arthur while pulling out my pistol. Everyone kept their eyes on me as Arthur followed me calling my name.

Finally, I spotted the rat as he was saying something to Jack. As you walked up Jack looked up at him. "Your mean Uncle Micah," Jack mumbled as his eyes teared up.

"You gotta learn to take a joke. You're too soft." Micah rolled his eyes.

"You son of a bitch." I pointed my gun at Micah who quickly pulls out his pistols and aims them at both of me. "I ran into your friends while hunting." I say in a lower voice.

At first, he looks confused but then I notice him get worried for a second, "You squeak, and I kill the kid, right here and now." He says to only me. Jack hears him and runs to hide behind me.

"You're a rat. Why should I let you live?" I ask.

Micah smirks, "They asked you too didn't they?" I tried not to look guilty, "That's why you shouldn't."

"I'm not going to help them."

"Then keep your fucking mouth shut and I won't have to get dirty."

Arthur finally caught up and got between us two. "What the hell is up with you two?" Bear was between my legs growling at Micah. "Bear, down," Arthur commands, making Bear let out a small whine before sitting.

"He was picking on Jack." I grit through my teeth.

"Not worth shooting him in the middle of the camp." Hosea says as he hurries over with Dutch.

"He also kicked Bear, again!" I said. As if he understood Bear lifts one of his paws and lets out a sigh.

"Etta," Dutch says over me. "Go cool down."

I let out a groan and stomp off with Jack towards Abigail. "What did he say to you this time, Jack?" She asks as her son runs into her arms.

"He kept asking who my real dad was, and he said Pa wasn't my dad," Jack said through hiccups and sobs.

"What a horrible man he is. You know who your Pa is, that's all that matters. Don't you pay no mind to that awful man." Abigail hugs Jack before looking at me. "Are you okay?"

I shook my head, "I need to go for a walk."

Abigail opens her mouth to speak, "I'll go with her, Abigail," Arthur says as he puts a hand on her shoulder. I don't even wait for him, I walk until I'm at the edge of the water.

"Etta, what's goin' on?" My backs to him with my arms crossed. He sighs and walks up wrapping his arms around me, "I know it wasn't about Bear or Jack."

"If I say what it is, people are going to get hurt." I whisper.

"You can tell me anythin'." He says into my hair.

"I know. But I also know you'll tell Dutch. And then everyone will be in trouble." Arthur turns me around and gives me a stern look.

"If it's really that bad, I won't tell anyone."

I took a deep breath and looked into his eyes, "The Pinkertons found me when I got separated from Charles while hunting." Arthur didn't react, just waited for me to continue, "They tried to get me to act as a spy for them. They threatened you... and also guaranteed your freedom if I turn my father's information over. He left before I could tell him to fuck off. But I'm pretty sure he knew my answer already."

Arthur rubbed the scar on his chin as he took in all the information. "I'm glad you're okay. But I still don't know why you went after Micah." He said, slightly confused.