Chapter Twenty Two: Some Social Call

I got off of Suzie and hitched her near the Annesberg sheriff building and hoped she wouldn't get loose and run off. I looked around for Micah or my father. "They said to meet here..."

Just as I was beginning to think I got the address wrong Micah rushes out of one of the small houses and pushes me against a wall, "Was you followed?" He demands.

"Are you out of your damn mind?"

"Answer the question!"

"No, you dumbass. I wasn't followed." I finally pushed him off of me and went to hit him, however, Dutch chose then to make himself known and stopped my fist.

"Micah reckons we have a rat." He says calmly as he gets between me and Micah.

"No shit we have a rat." I glare at Micah who smirks.

"Drop it with you thinkin' it's Micah." Dutch groans.

"Well, who then? What evidence?" I ask.

"Well, Molly certainly told. But I feel someone else too."

"The Pinkertons showing up, right as we boys get back? Really suspicious." Micah chimes in causing me to roll my eyes.

"Maybe we made too much noise. I remember reading about Blackwater and then from what Arthur's told me it was worse than the papers had put it. Then you boys almost get you all killed in Saint Denise. Maybe bein' an outlaw isn't something we can be anymore."

"I think the best thing we can do is let the weak go." Micah gestures towards me making me have an urge to shoot him, "Move on, get the money and go."

"No." Dutch sighs.

"Well, we should do something to get everyone safe. Cornwall, the damn Pinkertons. They are everywhere. It's time to think about ending this." I try to urge my father.

"Let's just deal with the matter at hand here." Micah throws his hands up and begins walking to the Pier.

"Yes, first, we gotta deal with Cornwall, then we find out who the loose end is."

"I'll help ya anyway I can, Pa." I sigh trying to get on his good side. "But this ain't some revenge mission, right?"

"Oh, of course not." Dutch rolls his eyes but seems to like that I called him Pa again and smiles at me. "How's little Bea today?"

"She was fine. A bit angry when I had to leave her with Abigail."

"She's got your fighting spirit, that's for sure." Micah tries to add in until I give him a glare.

"You know, Henry and Micah get along so well. I'm sure you two would if you gave him a chance." Dutch says casually.

"Uh... Let's just focus on this first." I walk back a bit more from the two.

"Alright then, Cornwall's boat should be here soon. This man somehow has his dirty hands in everything and he's slowly killing everyone."

"And what are we supposed to do about it?" I ask.

"We are just gonna make a deal, Princess." Micah sighs.

"What does that even mean?"

"He wants us to stop robing him and we want out. He's America, and I want out of it." Dutch begins to rant.

"It doesn't make sense, Pa... But I'll follow your lead."

Micah looks over the lake, "Here it comes."

"Alright. Let's hide behind these boxes." All three of us crouch and wait.

The boat pulls up and the first person I spot is Milton and his dumb hat. I glare at Micah who pretends not to notice me. "I want to thank you for your hospitality, Mr. Cornwall," Milton says as he kisses Cornwall's ass.