Chapter Thirty: Abandoned

Arthur's pov

"Arthur! You keep going. We'll get Etta and John!" Dutch yelled from his horse.

Sadie had to hold Arthur back from jumping off the train himself after I fell off. Even the bullets firing around him couldn't stop him from trying to go after me. His whole world in an instant suddenly felt like it was over.

Arthur looked at Henry who had jumped onto the train. He also looked like he was about to jump off the train as well. Henry looked at him and for a split second Arthur thought he saw guilt but it was completely overtaken with stress and worry.

"She should have stayed at camp!" Henry yelled.

"Boys! We gotta get the money and get off the train before we get to the bridge!" Sadie yelled pulling them both forward.

Henry coughed into his sleeve before running after Bill and Sadie only stopping to look at Arthur once more as he looked off the back of the train still searching for any sign of me.

Finally, Arthur tried to shake down his feelings so he could do what he had to do. And once he did that he would run to me.

He pushed past everyone shooting anyone who aimed a gun at him. He officially didn't want to be there and he needed to get this done. Fast.

They made it to the car when Arthur stopped. "Fuck,"

"What? Put the damn dynamite down Arthur!" Bill yelled as he looked over the side of the train.

"The dynamite was in Etta's bag! Give me a second!" Arthur started digging through his bag for anything that explodes.

"We don't have a second Arthur!" Sadie points at the bridge coming up fast.

As he felt in he felt something and pulled it out. Arthur had no idea how long a single expired dynamite stick had been in his bag and he was slightly worried but he couldn't be worried right now. He quickly stuck it to the door and pushed everyone back before firing at it with his pistol.

He had half hoped it wouldn't explode and they could jump off with nothing. Arthur wanted to be the one to tell Dutch that they got nothing. That it was all Dutch's fault.

But unfortunately or maybe fortunately it exploded and the door opened. Arthur and Sadie ran in and handed everyone bags of money. Bill and Cleet were ecstatic but Arthur, Sadie, and Henry all silently looked at each other before jumping off the train.

The two men continued their celebration after they got off the train and watched it go off the exploded part of the track. Arthur watched only for a second before tossing the bag of money he was holding to Sadie and turning around to run back to try and find me.

Only he didn't get far because Dutch and the others were riding up on their horses without me or John.

Dutch's eyes were red and puffy making Arthur start to shake his head in disbelief. "We tried, son. But they got to them first."

"They shot her and Johnny boy." Micah sighed. "I'm... sorry, Arthur."

Arthur almost felt like shooting both of them right then and there. It was all their fault anyway. He was about to as well till he heard Henry yell out in anger and sadness. Arthur turned around as Sadie pulled Henry into a tight hug as she tried to not cry herself.

"We need to move. Before another patrol gets here." Dutch urged everyone. Arthur noted quietly that he suddenly didn't look as sad.

Somberly Arthur sighs and walks up to Athena. She bumps his shoulder as he pets her and climbs on. Arthur stays back a bit and quickly wipes his eyes. He immediately begins thinking of how he would ever explain this to Bea and even to Abigail and Jack.