Chapter Twenty Three: Oh, Give Me a Break

Arthur had woken me up early a few days later to say he, Bea and Jack were going to go a bit down the river and fish. I had barely nodded and said yes before falling asleep again. Arthur had smirked and kissed my forehead before the three headed out for the day.

When I woke up later in the morning I put my arms up over my head and stretched. I glanced at the entrance feeling someone was standing there. And sure enough. My day was ruined.

"What Micah?" He was leaning on the wagon our tent is connected to and had a smile on his dirty face.

"I just thought I'd come to see how you slept, Princess." The sincere-ness in his voice made me want to gag.

"It was good till I saw your face just now."

"So... how are you and Morgan?" I eyed him as I slipped my shoes on over my jeans.

"We are happily married, Mr. Bell." I retort in a deadpan tone. "Why?"

"Well, I've been speakin' to your brother and father..."

"Oh god.." I mumble over him.

"We think the Morgan may not be the man for you."

"And since when do I care about your opinion?" I lean in to look in Arthur's mirror to comb and braid my hair.

"Well... because you and cowpoke didn't legally get married."

"Micah. I have stuff I have to do today so spit it out."

"Calm down woman, I'm gettin' to it."

I roll my eyes and push past him towards the coffee. To my dismay, he follows.

"Your brother and father and I think it'll be best you be with someone else." I throw my head back and let out a loud laugh.

"Since when do I give a damn about any of y'alls opinion of my love life. You aren't even my family so I, even more, give no shits about you." I took a sip of my coffee letting it wake me up.

"Well, your father and brother think you should be with someone like me." I choked on my coffee and spit at him getting his face and shirt. "What the hell is your problem?"

"Why would anyone curse a poor woman to be with you? God ain't that cruel." I finished my cup and started back for my tent.

Micah grabbed my arm and yanked me back. "I already got your daddy's permission." He smirked.

Before my mind could even register I socked him in the nose making him fall back into the dirt. "Keep your nasty hands off me." I turned towards Dutch's tent where he was hiding. "How about you go to hell with trying to marry me off to this fucking asshole."

"Daughter..." He started but I cut him off.

"No. I'm married. Not only am I married, but we also have a daughter. I'm not going to ever give Micah the time of day." I turn towards him still on the floor. "Come near me, Arthur or my daughter again I'll kill you." As I turned on my heels back to the tent I saw Arthur with his jaw dropped and Bea in his arms. "Come on, Arthur. Let's go."

"Where are you goin' wifey?" Micah asks getting up. "To look at those properties that rich ass is going to give you?"

I stop for a moment before pulling out my pistol and aiming it an inch from his head. "You fucking piece of shit."

"What properties?" Dutch asks walking up. Henry is behind him too.

Arthur walks up with Bea still in one arm and has his pistol ready just in case. "It's nothin' Dutch," Arthur says.

"You used to trust me, Arthur. You used to be my brother!" Dutch steps forward and I can see Henry has a gun out. Everyone else in camp is frozen not knowing whether to get involved or not. "You have become such a different person."