Chapter Four: I was being nosey

Dutch's surprise, when he saw all four of us ride into camp, gave me a bit of enjoyment. He seemed too happy until he saw me covered in soot and Javier explained what happened. Dutch sighed and apologized. What ended up happening when it came to sleeping was both Henry and I slept in Arthur's tent while he slept outside. Dutch had originally tried to give up his tent but Molly wouldn't have it.

"Why do I have to give up my bed for them? I didn't burn their house down." She had said. That was about a month ago. I now had my own tent near my father's and Arthur's. Henry's tent was behind mine.

I got up and stretched my arms above my head. It felt good to move my arm again. I knew Susan would probably start giving me chores today as well. I pulled my dark brown boots on and tried to look at my outfit. I had on a white button-up shirt with small colorful designs stitched into the shoulders, tucked into black riding pants. I had started wearing pants more since I had been trying to help out more with the camp when I could.

I stepped out of the tent and stretched again. The smell of coffee pulled me to the fire where I poured myself a cup. I had never been a fan of coffee until moving here. I happily sighed after my first sip.

"Good morning princess," Arthur said as he poured himself a cup. He had on his blue shirt I loved.

"Good morning Arthur. Shocking to see ya awake this early." I smiled into my cup as I took another sip. Arthur and I had been... flirting... kinda. It was hard to do when my father and brother were everywhere I was. It was small moments alone like this when he seemed a bit more confident in his approach toward me. I was definitely falling for this blue-eyed cowboy.

"Well, that ain't fair... I woke up this early last week." I giggled a bit, "You look much better, Etta." He smiled at me and seemed to gaze into my eyes just a bit longer than if someone had been around.

"Feeling much better, I don't think I will be trying to get stabbed anytime soon." I finished my coffee and walked behind the wagon to put my cup in the water. He followed me so that we were both hidden behind the wagon. He seemed to drink his coffee faster just to have an excuse to follow.

"Etta, I was wondering, if you are somehow able to get away from Henry or Dutch, if you would go with me on a little huntin' trip. You have been seeming eager to get outta camp."

A smile widened on my face as I looked up at him. "That sounds good. Would we go hunt a bear?"

He laughed and patted my shoulder, "Let's start with rabbits and work our way up." He left his hand on my shoulder for a moment. I could feel my cheeks begin to blush as he let his fingers softly glide down my arm.

"Are we... are we ever going to talk about this? Or are we going to keep sneaking around like criminals?" I asked knowing full well my face was now bright red.

"I don't know Etta, you know how your dad would feel..." Arthur started to say.

"What if Dutch wasn't an issue?" I looked into his blue eyes. I could see how he fought himself. Finally smiled at me softly.

"Well, I don't believe we'd be hiding behind a wagon just to talk."

I smiled hopefully and began to speak when I heard someone walking up. I pushed Arthur so he wouldn't be so close to me. Susan walked around the corner and dropped her cup into the wash bin eyeing us both.

"Ms. Van Der Linde, how's your arm?"

"It's good Susan. I'm ready to work if you have any chores for me." I smiled.