𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟖

────── ★★★ ──────

────── ★★★ ──────

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟖
𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐄𝐗𝐇𝐀𝐔𝐒𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐂𝐇

────── ★★★ ──────

Not even an hour passed before Everly saw the irritation forming in Henry's eyes. He had been going through the book and reading over everything that was written in it, and just like the Thorne woman, nothing made sense to him. Everly could see how much her nephew wanted to help them, but he didn't know what to do, which was what caused his annoyance. Because of that, it didn't surprise her when he slammed the book closed and looked up to meet her and Rumplestiltskin's gazes.

"I can't do this," Henry announced while the two detectives continued to stare at him with mixed emotions in their eyes, "do either of you know why I wrote this book in the first place? Because I thought that these stories would give people hope. And now some psychopath is using it as a reason to kill people?"

"Not if you stop them," was all the Dark One said in response, making the Mills man's irritation grow.

"Stop putting that on me, okay?! I don't...I don't have any answers! I don't have the secret codes to these stories because it turns out I don't even understand them!" Henry snapped, making a wave of guilt wash over Everly as she carefully studied her nephew.

It wasn't long after that when the Mills man got to his feet, grabbed his things, and started walking towards the door. His actions caused Everly to get to her feet and call out his name, forcing Henry to stop in his tracks. "What're you doing, Henry?"

The brunette man hesitated before slowly turning around to meet his aunt's gaze. "I'm getting on a plane. You're right, New York is a long way from home and you know what, that's probably a good thing. Because nothing here really worked out so great."

The two of them just stared at each other until Henry began to turn towards the door once again, only to stop in his tracks when Everly began to speak. "And yet we both know you're not really walking out that door. At least, not if you're anything like the Henry Mills in that book."

Shock instantly filled the Mills man's eyes as he turned back around so he was fully facing the Thorne woman. "I thought you said your daughter read the book."

"I did, too. It was really good, Henry. So good that I wouldn't dismiss those stories just yet," Everly told him while Rumplestiltskin watched their exchange with a small smile on his face, "even though you can't admit it, I think you're a lot like the Henry Mills in your book. And just so you know, he was my favorite character."

"Of course he was, everyone loves a little kid full of hope and belief."

"I didn't like him because he was a kid or even for his hope and belief, even though that is important," the Thorne woman retaliated while Henry continued to stare at her with an unreadable emotion on his face, "I liked him because he didn't give up when it felt like the entire world was against him. And I can tell you're not giving up just yet."