Chapter-3

JANNAT

.

I'm parking my bicycle in the garage when I hear Meow.

"I don't have any food for you, Kitty"

Not that she needs it. My neighbor's cat is very pleasantly plump. Mrs .Piya and her husband feed her plenty...along with the rest of the neighborhood

Not taking no for an answer, she swats the air with her paw and gives me a little purr.

"Uhh...here we go again" Walking over to the bag of cat food I keep around for her, I pull a couple of pebbles out and place them on the floor.

The moment she devours them, I scoop her up.

"Ab tumhe jo chahiye tha tumhe vo mil hi gya hai toh it's time for you to go home."

She meows as I start the walk to Mrs. Piya's, still begging for food.

I hear you, sister.

Music might be my first love, but food is my best friend...always there to give me comfort. Mrs. Piya stops her gardening when she sees me...and her cat.

"I'm so sorry." Standing, she removes her gloves and takes Kitty from me. "I've put her on another diet, but see ye khush ni h isiliye bhagti rehti hai."

Smiling, I give Kitty's head a little scratch. "No need to apologize. I love when Kitty comes over to say me hello."

Her lips twist as she studies me. "Who's the boy?"

I'm not sure how this woman knows these things, but I swear she must be part psychic.

And ever since I was eleven and came running over here crying because I had gotten my first period and didn't know what to do...she's also been a sort of mother figure to me.

"Koi ni hai" I wave a hand. "It's nothing. Not a big deal."

Except it is. Because Faisal Sheikh is picking me up tomorrow night. Despite looking unconvinced, she lets it slide.

"Thik hai agar tum keh rhi ho toh" She scratches kitty behind the ears. "I have to go inside and start dinner, but I'll be around later if you want to have some girl talk."

Usually, I'd take her up on that, but she's just going to tell me for the millionth time that I'm beautiful and that my looks, hair and size doesn't define me. She'll tell me that guys like Faisal Sheikh would be crazy not to date me. While I always appreciate her kind words...I know they're not true. Guys like Faisal won't ever be into girls like me. It's just a fact of life.

One I've learned to accept.

Giving her a small wave, I trek back to my house. My dad still isn't home, so I raid the cupboards and grab a bag of chips and a candy bar. After stopping to take a soda out of the fridge, I head into my bedroom.

Music posters of my favorite bands line the walls, along with physical records of my favorite songs that I keep framed. Dropping the bag of chips, candy, and soda onto my bed, I close my eyes...

Then I take off my clothes.

Walking over to the large full-size mirror on the opposite end of my bedroom, I inspect every inch of myself and holds few strings of my curls

"Take a picture, fat ass. It will last longer."

"Yaa toh tere kapde chote hote jaa rhe hai yaa toh you're getting fatter"

"The bitch is so fat when she steps on the scale it says, to be continued."

"Also see her chidiya ka ghosla, Do you even comb them girl"