Chapter 29

Zara's eyes are as big as saucers when Faisu leads her backstage. "Holy crap. I can't believe mera bhai sacchi m itta bda rockstar hai."

Faisu grins before his expression turns soft. "I can't believe I have a little sister."

"Whoa," Zara exclaims. "Don't look so sad. The important thing humdono aakhir mile, right?"

They share a smile, but the moment is short lived because Kalp— who's walking alongside me—mutters, "Are those DNA results back yet?"

Shivi—who's on the other side of me—sighs. "The test was done this morning. I'm having it expedited, but it's still going to take some time."

That only deepens his glower. "Let's just hope we get them back before this little princess convinces him to buy her a castle and a horse."

Halting her steps, Zara spins around to face him. "Castles and ponies are basic bitch shit. And for the record? The only thing I want from my brother is k vo meri life m rahe bs hmesa, Samje you UNCLE"

Zara's managed to do the impossible, because for once, Kalp's speechless. Behind me, Faiz and Mohsin chuckle. "That's one way to call someone an asshole," Mohsin states.

"Yes," Kalp muses. "I don't think muje DNA k ane tk ka wait bhi krna pdega ye tumhari hi behn hai."

Faisu's lips twitch. "I'll give you five bucks every time you insult Kalp"

Zara's face lights up and she gives him a fist bump. "Deal."

Something tells me Faisu's wallet will be empty by midnight.

"Goodie," Kalp mutters under his breath. "At least now the little convict has some goals and ambitions."

Zara's big green eyes narrow into tiny slits. "I have plenty of goals and ambitions, you colon polyp."

Faisu hands her a crisp five-dollar bill. "Like what?"

She starts ticking things off with her fingers. "Well, for starters, Mai khud k ek chota sa ghar lena chahti hu. I'd also like to get my driver's license and animals k liye ek shelther home kholna hai. And then, of course, there's my dream career..."

"Which is?" Shivi cuts in.

Zara dramatically places the back of her hand over her forehead. "I'm going to be an Academy Award-winning actress one day."

I'll admit, I wasn't expecting that. Kalp claps his hands sardonically. "Bravo. You can add fake pregnant teen and impostor sister to your résumé."

Her hands find her waist and she swivels her head. "At least I'll be making money off my own talents instead of kisi k gulam bnkr dusro k talent pr salary khana."

Shivi and I share a look as she shuts kalp up for the second time in five minutes. If I had any doubts the girl was related to Faisu, I don't anymore. She cuts like a knife.

Faisu hands her a ten-dollar bill this time grinning like a proud brother. "Ouch. Be easy, though.Kalp itna bhi bura ni hai, dhyan bhi rkhta h vo hum sbka."

Regret washes over zara's face and she mumbles a quick, "Sorry."

"Don't be," Kalp says as we head into the greenroom. "You're like a puppy. Annoying, needy, and smelly...but otherwise harmless."

With those parting words, he turns on his heel and walks out.

Her mouth drops. "I don't smell." Raising her arm, she sniffs her pits. "Do I?"