Chapter- 4

I'm not the problem here. The problem is him. Or rather, his refusal to confide in me about what's going on.

"You can get another tutor if you want, but I don't think it will matter. Heck, I haven't even had a chance to actually tutor you yet kyuki tumne padha hi ni."

"I did read it," he booms.

"Then what exploration was the sixteenth century great for?"

He doesn't answer...because he can't.

Picking up the two halves of the paper he tore, I hold them up next to each other. "The answer is in the second sentence. Padho mere samne."

I can see him struggling as he tries to, and it breaks my heart.

"It's okay," I assure him. "I'm not going to make fun of you, I promise. Mai bs tumhari help karna chahti hu Faisal."

He averts his gaze. "I'm not an idiot."

"I know you're not." I draw in a breath. "Ek idiot itta acha gaa ni skta itna accha guitar ni baja sakta. An idiot can't drive. An idiot doesn't have great taste in music jaise tumhe hai...so no, you're not an idiot. But I do think you're having difficulty when it comes to reading. Can you try to explain kya problem hoti hai so I can better understand?"

He's silent for so long I fear I'm wasting my time...but then he finally speaks.

"The words...the letters. They get all jumbled up. I can't keep them straight, maano sb najro k smne naach rhe hai"

I think about this for a moment. "You mean like dyslexia?"

He shrugs. "Muje name ni pta iss chiz ka, I just know that's what happens."

Wanting to investigate further, I read the first two sentences aloud and ask him the same question I did before. This time he gets it right Making sure it's not a fluke, I read the entire essay. Then I ask him all the corresponding questions. He gets all but two right and he's able to provide decent answers to the ones that aren't multiple choice.

It's clear he definitely comprehends this stuff...as long as it's not in written form, he can understand hell he can also speak so fluently but he can't read and write. How the hell did no one notice this before?

"Okay. So, I can't officially diagnose you with dyslexia or anything, but I'm pretty sure that's what you have." I expel a sigh. "I don't understand kisi teacher ko kaise ni pata chala"

Not even Mrs. Heera.

He looks sheepish. "Unhe ni pata chalega."

"Why?"

He scrubs a hand down his face. "Because whenever we have to read a book for class, I make sure to get the audio version. I also have an app that scans and reads things aloud to me. Faiz padhleta h kbhi kbhi mere liye"

Okay, that makes sense...and it doesn't.

"The tests aren't given in audio form. How do you pass those?"

"Most of the time I don't, which is why I'm failing. But every once in a while..." His Adam's apple bobs. "I manage."

"What do you mean?"

"Jab test m multiple choice hote hai, I'll peek over at someone else's sheet and scope out the pattern." He shrugs. "Or agar esa ni hota toh I'll find a girl who's already taken the test and ask her for the answers."

I balk at him. "And these girls just do it?"

I want to mentally smack myself because, of course, they do. He's Faisal Sheikh. He simply just has to exist, and girls line up to throw themselves at him.