Chapter 20

JANNAT

Evidently, the girl who interrupted our conversation isn't a groupie, because when I walk out to the kitchen, I see her talking to Faisu instead of fangirling over him. Or rather, trying to, because he won't even look at her.

Upon noticing me enter, he promptly gets up.

The pretty girl twists around in her seat as he stalks away. "Come on, Faisu. We need to figure something out."

Ignoring her, he grabs a bottle of Jack off the counter and brushes past me.

My curiosity comes to a peak and I blurt, "Who are you?"

It's probably none of my business—but seeing as she not only claimed the last bunk, she was attempting to have a serious discussion with Faisu— it's obvious the girl is more than a Groupie. And fuck she is so beautiful in her black and white zebra pattern pent and tank while her coat hanged loosely on her shoulder and her makeup perfect on point with long straight hair

 And fuck she is so beautiful in her black and white zebra pattern pent and tank while her coat hanged loosely on her shoulder and her makeup perfect on point with long straight hair

"I'm Shivangi...the new publicist, Sadly Inn Rockstars k sb kaando ko ab under wraps smbhalne k kaam mera hoga" she says, and I detect a hint of the same Southern accent Mohsin has.

Her presence explains a lot now. "Oh."

"You must be Jannat"

"Yeah."

Giving me a warm smile, she waves me over. "Since we're the only females staying on this bus, we should get to know one another."

Thanks to Sara and the rest of her cohorts torturing me throughout college, I'm typically wary of girls who look like her. However, she seems genuine and judging her for being beautiful and thin is no better than the way those girls judged me for not being either of those things.

I take a seat at the table. "Tum kbse kaam krti ho Sharp Objects k sath?"

She draws in a deep breath before she answers. "A little over four years."

That's...strange. "I thought you said you were new?"

"The new publicist." Reaching for her water bottle, she takes a small sip. "I was a merch girl before that."

"Congrats on the promotion."

"Thanks." Her cheerful expression falters, and she looks down at the table. "I was only hired because I was Jeh's fiancée."

My stomach twists with regret and sadness. I feel like a monster for congratulating her now. "I'm so sorry."

"Can we not?" she whispers, her voice shaking. "I appreciate your condolences, but being the grieving widow is..." My chest aches because I can't imagine how awful all this must be for her.