Chapter 19

JANNAT

According to Mrs. Piya, my dad is doing well. Although when I spoke to him last, he thought I was trying to sell him something and rushed me off the phone. I'm hoping tomorrow's conversation goes a lot better.

We're currently on our way to Arizona, so I'm sleeping in the bunk below Faisu's. Or rather, trying to sleep, but I can't stop tossing and turning. A quick glance at my phone tells me it's a little after three a.m. Given everyone else on the bus is sleeping soundly, I step out for a little quiet time.

The front of the bus has a kitchen and lounge area, the middle section is where our bunks are, and the back is where Kalp's room is. However, there's also another tiny lounge area located in the rear that has a television, so I decide to go there. The small leather sofa is comfortable, despite the tight quarters.

I'm looking around for the remote when the sliding door opens and a shirtless Faisu walks in.

I get off the couch, but he takes several steps, cornering me. "Stay." It's not a request, it's an order.

I shoot him a dirty look as I sit back down and he takes a seat next to me. The close proximity makes the small space feel even more cramped.

"Why are you still up?" The thick rasp of his voice has the tiny hairs on my arms standing on end.

"I can't sleep." I peer over at him. "Why are you still up?" He has to be exhausted after back-to-back concerts.

Those magnetic brown eyes look me up and down and I resist the urge to kiss him.

"I can't sleep either." Whatever hostility he was harboring appears to be gone...which is strange.

So was him telling Kalp to give me another chance. "Why did you stick up for me this morning?accha moka tha mujse picha churvane ka."

His jaw sets and some emotion I can't quite pinpoint flickers across his face. "Why are you working at Club?"

I feel like I've just been dunked in a vat of ice water. I'm not sure how he knows, but my guess is Kalp told him. Doesn't mean I have to talk about it, though. He lost the right to know anything about me or my life when he betrayed me. "That's none of your business."

The tendons in his throat flex as he swallows. "In that case, I'm not answering your question either."

His tit-for-tat tactic doesn't surprise me one bit. It's how we've always been with one another.

"But ab agr tum tik hi rhi ho ye 8 hafte toh," he continues. "I think we should call some kind of truce."

I want to tell him to go fuck himself, but I need the money. Us not being at each other's throats every second of the day and night will make my job a lot easier.

"Fine." I stand. "I'm going back to bed."

His fingers wrap around my wrist. "Muffin"  There's so much longing in his tone it makes my skin heat and eyes moist, this specific voice this name, him has scared my nights enough for 4 years now.

"I said truce." I hold his stare. "We're not friends."

We never were. My heart slams painfully against my rib cage when I glance down at his tattoo.

The first time I saw the clef and staff, there weren't any music notes. But now it has words

Sun raha hai naa tu
Ro raha hoon main
Sun raha hai naa tu
Kyun ro raha hun main