Chapter 25

"Is this heaven?" Faisu questions as I open the dividing door and head out to the kitchen where everyone is already eating.

Faiz stuffs his mouth with a forkful of pancakes. "Nah. Heaven is when she makes biscuits and gravy."

Dadi slaps the back of his head. "Are you insulting the food I just made? Be grateful you have a nice home-cooked meal instead of that stale cereal I found in the cupboard."

Faiz sulks. "I'm grateful, Dadi."

She smiles when she sees me. "Come on, sweet pea. Grab yourself a plate. Kitni dubli ho gyi ho, let's put some meat back."

Never thought I would hear that. I'm happily loading up my plate when I hear,

"She doesn't need more meat on her bones." Seven pairs of eyes swivel to Zain.

Dadi pops a hand on her waist. "Kehne ka matlab kya hai tumhara?"

Zain looks like he's going to shit his pants. But I don't feel the need to come to his defense like I usually do.

"Well, you know." He visibly gulps. "She's not that skinny." When several jaws drop, he quickly adds, "But it's not like she's fat or anything."

I put my plate down.

Mohsin points his fork at Zain. "Dude, tu behtr hoga agr chup ho jyega toh."

Dismissing that excellent advice, Zain looks at me. "I didn't mean you were fat. You're not. You're perf—"

Faisu pounds his fist against the table so hard the dishes rattle. "Shut the fuck up. Now." Cocking his head, he zeros in on me. "Eat your breakfast, MUFFIN now"

.

"So, breakfast was...unexpected," Shivi exclaims as we tidy up the kitchen.

"Yeah, those pancakes were the best I've ever had."

"They were delicious." Her lips quirk. "But I was referring to Zain putting his foot in his mouth and Faisu almost ripping it out and beating him to death with it."

Before I can respond, Dadi strides into the kitchen. Faisu, Faiz, and Mohsin are right behind her. A pang of sadness shoots through me when I notice Faisu is carrying her luggage. "You're leaving already?" The woman just got here.

"Haa baby, mera young boyfriend mera intejar kr rha hai."

Faisu gives Faiz a shit-eating grin as he heads to the front of the bus. "Looks like dadi has more game than you."

Faiz raises his middle finger before wrapping Dadi up in a big hug. "Call me when you land."

"Sure thing, baby. Stay out of trouble."

He laughs. "I'll do my best."

Turning to shivi, Grams kisses her forehead. "Make sure he doesn't get arrested."

Shivi smiles. "I'll do my best."

Her attention shifts to Mohsin. "And you. Control urself, no more baby mamas, itti jldi par-dadi mt bnao muje"

A sheepish smile tugs at his mouth as he hugs her. "I'll do my best."

After they break apart, she folds her arms around me. "I'm so happy you're back." Face lined with worry, she cups my cheek and whispers "Vo pehle bs tuta hua tha pr ab khoo chuka hai, isse pehle zindagi usse khoo de, usse bchalena, DON"T GIVE UP ON HIM, koi ni hai uska tumhare sivay"