Chapter 14

JANNAT

MUMBAI

"Scotch Please"

"Coming right up," I tell the guy in a business suit.

After filling the lowball halfway with some ice, I toss a lemon peel into the glass. Business suit guy eyes me up and down the whole time.

"Yha ka owner idiot hai sacchi for sticking a beautiful girl like you behind this bar instead of up there."

Up there would be the stage where dancer is currently twirling around the pole. I wasn't sure what I was going to do after Harward, but bartending at club—a gentleman's club—in BOMBAY definitely wasn't on my radar. However, sometimes life throws you major curveballs and the only thing you can do is keep pushing forward.

Sliding the man his drink, I study him. Dark hair, dark eyes, and judging by his appearance, he looks to be in his late forties. While he's not unattractive, there's nothing particularly distinctive or alluring about his features.

I give the guy a wink because tips. "Don't worry sir mai apni marji se hu yaha"

Bringing the glass to his lips, he takes a sip as his gaze drops down, taking in my white corset and pants.

Four years ago, a guy like him—hell, any guy for that matter—wouldn't have spared a girl like me a second glance

Four years ago, a guy like him—hell, any guy for that matter—wouldn't have spared a girl like me a second glance. As devastating as hearing my song on the radio was that day, it also ignited a fire inside me. While I couldn't change what that asshole did, I realized there was something I could change.

Myself.

All my life, I attempted to fill the large, gaping void inside me with food. Problem was, it didn't work. Because no matter how great I felt when I was in the middle of a binge, I always felt like shit after. Which in turn would only make the void grow bigger. Deep down I was miserable...but only because I was continuously choosing to be.

Learning to build a better relationship with food was a lot of hard work and took some deep soul searching. I didn't force myself to go on a crash diet, nor did I starve myself in order to be thin. I simply made some healthier choices and stopped eating once I became full. Well, that and I cut out soda because that crap isn't good for anyone. Especially the excessive amount I was drinking.

I'm still not what society would consider but I have good fat and curves now and yes I treated my hair finally in london they are still wavy but I can straight them with machine which Dad gifted me after I went to Harward as bday gift, society will still consider me not so toned yet but screw society. The only thing that matters is that I like what I see when I look in the mirror.

Because I didn't conquer my demons for some stupid guy or because I wanted acceptance. I did it for me. The guy's eyeballs finally travel back up to my face. Thanks to Mrs. Piya, I finally learned how to do my own makeup. I also grew my hair after treatment and dyed it jet black, something I've always wanted to do but was too afraid to try.