Chapter 36

JANNAT

I press the ignore button on my cell as I continue cramming things into my suitcase. I know Shivi wants to talk, but as much as I'd love to say goodbye to her and the others—aside from that bastard Zain—I can't.

The only thing worse than being fired is the walk of shame that comes with it. I've already lost my money. I'd like to at least hold on to a bit of my pride.

But then I think of how upset I'd be if the shoe was on the other foot and Shivi left without saying a word. I don't want her thinking our friendship didn't mean anything to me, so I pick up my phone to text her. 

I'm in the middle of typing out a message when the connecting door opens and Faisu strolls inside, clutching his stomach. "Tumhe pata hai I just lost bet from my 16 yr old girl like. Who knew someone so tiny could eat so much?"

Despite looking stuffed to the point of being uncomfortable, he's smiling like he just won the lottery. A sharp pang radiates my chest. I'm happy he's building a relationship with his little sister. Hopefully, it will be enough to deter him from going down that dark path again.

Groaning, he removes his sunglasses and baseball cap—known as his incognito props. Not that they work all that well. It's impossible not to notice Faisal Sheikh.

I stuff a small pile of folded T-shirts into my suitcase. "Zara kaha hai?"

Our last conversation was basically me implying that she was doing something wrong, and that's not how I want to leave things with her.

He snorts out a laugh. "She's still at the restaurant kyuki faiz ne usse ab challenge kia h k vo khane m usse beat kr skta hai."  In that case, maybe I'll just write her a note. "Infact mai tumhe lene aaya hu chlo faiz ko haarta hua dekhte—"

Confusion spreads across his face as his stare flicks between me and my suitcase. "Hold up. Why are you packing? We still have another show tonight."

Not we. I fold a pair of jeans. "You do. I don't."

That only makes him even more dumbfounded. "What do you mean?"

Brushing past him, I head to the bathroom so I can grab my toiletries. "I'm fired."

Faisu catches my arm. "Fired? For what? Why?"

There's no point in keeping it from him since this affects him, too. 

"There are pictures of us." I twist out of his grasp. "All over the internet."

He follows me into the bathroom. "Pictures of us? What kinds of pictures?"

Opening the shower door, I collect my shampoo, body wash, and razor. And took a deep breath, BE STRONG JANNAT "Kisi ne kal raat lounge m humari pics click krli jb humdono..and now they are all over the internet, Kalp ne dekhlia and bs I'm FIRED now"

Although many things can ruffle Faisu's feathers, not much can shock him. This does, though, because he stumbles back like the rug was just pulled out from underneath him. That makes two of us.

A murderous look enters his eyes...and then he's bolting out of my room in a cloud of rage. Heart pounding, I chase after him. I do not want him beating up Kalp. Not only will it cause issues for him with the record label, his actions will also impact Faiz and Mohsin.

Kalp wasn't the one in the wrong here. I was. However, he bypasses Kalp's room and goes to one farther down the hall. Oh crap. I'm trying to catch up to him when he kicks the door open.