Miraculous Malfunction 9

Marinette

"We need to talk."

Oh god. He knew. He saw the papers. He broke into her room. She was in the middle of talking to Tiki. This was horrible. Horrific. The worst thing to happen in the history of worsts.

"Chat... I can explain."

No, she couldn't. She was too exhausted, to frazzled to come up with a good enough lie. She had used all of her brain power to make up that story earlier.

"I would love an explanation actually. Because I'm kind of pissed, if I'm being honest."

She swallowed hard, tears forming in her eyes. This meant one of them would have to give up their miraculous. And since she was the guardian... he'd lose his. She turned away, her tears blurring her vision. She didn't want another Chat. She wanted him. They had worked together for years, he was one of her best friends.

"Well? Why does she trust you more than me?" He spat, and she froze, trying to register the words.

Trust who?

"What?"

"I admit. On our last meeting I may have been distracted but I was busy as hell! Okay? And my sleep..."

He sighed wistfully, and she turned, watching him closely. What was he saying?

"She should have come to me. I told her I would help. We were supposed to figure it out. Together. Why did she ask you to do it?"

He thought Ladybug had asked for her help. He hadn't seen Tiki! She pushed across the room and hugged him, wrapping her arms around his chest as tightly as she could, grateful she wouldn't have to take his ring back.

"Marinette?" He mumbled, his arms slowly wrapping around her shoulders.

"You scared me." She sighed, stepping away.

He seemed confused, which was fair. He had no idea what she was talking about.

"I'm sorry she didn't tell you. She was busy, and wanted to see if I... a bakers daughter, could make sense of the ingredients."

He sat down in her desk chair, looking over some of the papers strewn about the desk.

"I guess that makes sense."

"It was nothing against you Chat. She just thought I may know some of the herbs for it."

He shrugged, spinning in the chair to look at her.

"I want to help."

"What?"

"Let me help. I can't help her, because it's dangerous and she's worried about our identities. But I can help you."

Him being here was a horrible idea. He might see Tiki. He might find the miracle box.

"I appreciate-"

"I'm not leaving Marinette."

His words sent a shiver through her, and she quickly looked away. Hadn't Adrien said that too? She shook her head, banishing the thought from existence. That was dream Adrien. This was real life and that was Chat Noir.

"Please."

She closed her eyes, weighing the pros and cons. Yes, it was dangerous. But so was continuing to use a broken miraculous. It could help. Having a fresh pair of eyes.

"Fine."

"Really?"

She shrugged, picking up the papers on the floor. Besides. He already made an assumption that she was just helping Ladybug. If he saw something he shouldn't, she could play off of that lie.