The Disappearing Act 21

Marinette

"I can't."

She fled through his window into the rain, not once glancing back. What the hell was wrong with her? She wanted to be with Chat. She did. But Adrien still had a place in her heart. A big one. She had just decided to try with Chat, and not even a few minutes after deciding so she had cheated on the mere idea with Adrien. Could she even be faithful if she entered a relationship with Chat? What would be the point now anyway, when there was a risk of her dying? He didn't support her choice. What was she to do? Live a life that made others suffer? How when before those three years, her goal in life was always to make people happy? She skidded to a stop on the platform of the eiffle tower, watching the city drown in rain.

"Spots off."

Tiki looked around in confusion, but said nothing. She didn't want to go home. Not to a place Chat would show to. Not to her bed where he had kissed her just hours before. She sat down carefully on the edge, allowing her legs to dangle over nothingness. Would it be wrong? If he denied her the miraculous, what was she to do? She wouldn't go on while everyone around her feared for their safety each day. That had been hell before when hawkmoth caused it. But to be the one the blame was directed at? She couldn't stomach that.

"You'll get sick Marinette."

Not that it mattered. She was infected anyway, what was another infection? She looked down at the ground, her gut twisting in displeasure.

"What should I do? If you can't get the miraculous?"

"Nothing. We will figure it out."

Tiki landed on her shoulder, and Marinette closed her eyes. She couldn't just do nothing. Paris needed to feel secure again. She felt disgusting, knowing an acuma was hiding somewhere under her skin.

"You said someone stronger than you likely tried to remove it."

"It's possible. I don't know what else could have happened for you to have been gone for three years."

She leaned back on her hands, staring at the sky. Rain was blowing onto her face, drenching her dress, but she didn't care.

"When the sloth acuma was around. I heard you and a woman talking. She said she had to send me home. You begged her not to. Saying I wasn't ready."

Tiki didn't answer, and she closed her eyes once more. She wished she had never come back. Not if it meant that they would all lose her again. She should have just stayed dead.

Adrien

He landed in front of the doors, his heart hammering. He knew she left because she felt guilty. But he wasn't admitting to shit unless he had a solution. He pushed open the door, pacing over to the man at the desk. He was a younger officer. One he hadn't seen before.

"I need to speak to Gabriel Agreste."

"I'm sorry Chat Noir. Visiting hours are over, and you know as well as I that Gabriel isn't allowed visitors."

"This is important."

The young man glanced up from his computer, before shifting his hand to his radio.

"I've got Chat Noir here at the front desk wanting to speak to Mister butterfly. Mind coming up here?"

The radio carried another man's voice, one he recognized. Roger, Sabrina's dad. When had he moved to prison detail? The door behind the kid at the desk opened, and Roger waved his hand for him to follow. He did quietly, and they paced down another hall to a door. It looked like an interrogation room.