Chapter 29

Chapter 29

With the sun starting to fade, Danny found herself alone sitting outside the Reeds home just so she could clear her mind. A part of her wanted nothing more than to go for a walk just so it could help with clearing her mind, but after the recent event, that nearly cost her, her life, she wasn't willing to test fate just yet, and settling for just sitting on the steps that led up to the large home, as she watched the sky slowly but surely growing dark. With her head resting on the border along the porch, her eyes fixated on the sky, she just sat in her silence.

A part of her wondered how things back home were going. She wondered how all of her guys were doing with their classes and if they were worried about her just as much as she was worried about them. And she wondered if Jeannette had everything under control when it came to little Myra. She wondered how Ms. Donna was doing with the café, even though she had been helping Danny's father with it since Danny herself was in diapers. She had missed home, and had never been away from it. So to be gone for this lone was making her a bit homesick, not to mention that she didn't want to call as much as she should because she would have to answer all of their questions about where she was and how long she'd be gone. Then there was the question about her home and how it was an accident that had caused it.

Wrapping her arms around herself and taking in a deep breath, she could feel her homesickness deepening.

"Ms. Rowan are you okay?" A deep voice spoke from the side of her, catching her attention and causing her to pull her eyes away from the darkening sky.

As she pinned her eyes on the man that had spoken to her, she was surprised to see Emory Reeds standing there in a pair of dark sweats and a long sleeve black shirt.

"Oh, Emory hi." Danny said in a low voice as she tried her best to force a smile, that even she knew didn't quite meet her eyes.

"Are you okay?" Emory asked again, taking her in and noticing her sadden eyes.

"Yeah, I'm fine." She lied. "I, uh, I just came out to clear my mind. I wanted to take a walk but I didn't want to chance another attack happening, so here I am." She said lifting her arms and giving in to a slight shrug.

"You can walk if you want, since the attack I doubled up on the shifts of patrols. You'd be safe, besides if you needed someone to tag along with you could've asked."

Dropping her smile and shifting her eyes back to the sky Danny placed her head back on the border and sighed softly. "I know, but Skylar and Shawn are still out, Kale has found some kids his own age to hang with, Nina is being Nina and Rafe has been focused on other things. And besides, I wanted to walk alone."

Taking in the tone of her voice and taking in her over all look, Emory knew that they was something off with her.

Taking a moment to close the front door, which he had come out of he slowly made his way over to the small human, noticing how she wasn't eager to lecture him, or trying to talk his ears off, both of which she had been doing since she first arrived there.

"Are you sure that you're okay Ms. Rowan." He asked pinning her with a watchful eye.

Without turning to look at him, she breathe out, "I'm fine." In a tone that an average human wouldn't possibly hear.

Not used to being the one to start conversations or to carry them, Emory found himself searching his mind for something that could lift her spirit. Once he figured he had something, he slowly made his way to her, in hopes that it would work.