Chapter 25

Chapter 25

"Go on brother, tell me everything." Emory spat as he stood tall, taking the shocked look on Skylar's face. "I'm dying to know."

"You know about Clover and I?" Skylar asked in confusion, as he watched the dark look in his brother's eyes shift into something else. "Who told you? Craig or Sonny?"

"No one told me anything," Emory stated as he pinned Skylar with a look of disapproval, "but I'm happy to know that everyone knew the truth but me."

"It's not like that."

"You could have fooled me." Emory stated as he slowly shook his head and turned to walk away from Skylar making his way to the living room and flopping down on the sofa, feeling beyond tired.

"Em, I wanted to tell you," Skylar said, finally admitting the truth as he followed behind his brother. "I-I just couldn't find the words to say it. I know what I did, and I-"

"You know what Sky," Emory said in a tired yet hard tone as he lifted his dark eyes up to meet his, "I've had a long night, I tired, and I'm disappointed. I could still hear and tell you all of the ways that I feel betrayed by your actions but that would be useless to me. I get anger, I get up right now and put your head through the wall because of the pain that you caused me. But I won't because it doesn't matter anymore. None of it matters anymore."

"Emory, I-"

"Sky," Emory sighed softly as he continued to pin his brother with a look of heavy disappointment that hit Skylar in all of the worst ways, "this is all on me. It's all my fault and I can admit that."
"What are you talking about."

"I think you know." He said as he slowly sat back on the sofa and shifted his eyes elsewhere. "Your entire life, I have always been the one shielding you from harm. When Regina died, I held your hand at the funeral and sat by your bed every night for a month, so that you wouldn't have nightmares; when Angel snapped and came after you, I was the one who stood of him and you, and when left us I became your father, I raised you, I took care of you. I gave you everything that you could ever want or need. You didn't have bullies in school because I got to them first. I taught you how to drive, I bought you your first car, and I taught you about girls and the birds and the bees."

"I did it!" Emory snapped as he glared at his younger brother. "I did everything for you, and it wasn't because I had to do it, it's because I loved my brother and I only wanted the best for you. And at the end of the day when we had no one, we did have each other. So you imagine my pain when I realized that my brother whom I loved so much, died, and I wasn't there to protect. You imagine the anger I felt thinking of all the ways you had died, then you imagine how it felt for me to walk into this very cabin only to find that Angel had ripped his own heart out!" he snapped as he stood up and got in Skylar's face.

"I was alone, I had no one but this pack and business that I never wanted, but they were the only things that I had left in this world, so I did what I had to do."
"Emory, I'm sorry."

"Sorry?" Emory questioned in confusion. "I don't need you to be sorry Sky, I need you to understand what you put through...what you put US through. You only thing in this world keeping Angel alive, and after your death, he just gave up on everything...on me. He left me to be with you and mate. He left me alone to deal with his problems again!"

"And after his death, you show up acting like nothing happened. Four years went by and not time did you call to check in. You never reached out, you just left without saying a word. So imagine my surprise you just show up out of the blue on day." Falling into silence Emory took a step away from his brother as a small round of laughter escaped his lips. "You know when you first showed up, I racked my brain trying to understand exactly what it was that I did to force you to run away, because obviously you weren't as dead as we all believed. At first I thought, that maybe you were tired of living in your big brother's shadow, but then I had to remember, you were never in my shadow, because you always had you own way of doing things."