Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Emory had been awoken by the strange feeling of eyes on him. Shifting slightly on the couch and resting his head on the arm, he opened his eyes to the sight of a silent Danny watching him. As irritated as he was by the small fact, he caught the slight growl that threatened to escape his lips as his eyes looked her over, sensing that something was wrong. From where he lay, he spotted the timid way that she sat with her phone in her hand and her hand in her lap, while the other hand was held close to her lips as she bit nervously into her fingers nails, a motion that he only guessed was due to nerves. Her long black hair had been pushed out of her face, and fell to the side, hanging down her shoulder, though it looked like she had ran her hands through it quite a number of times.

Her eyes had been transfixed on him, though it was unclear to him if she had been staring at him, or just staring out into space, whatever it was he could tell that something had been on her mind. She had been dressed in the same clothes as she had the night before, though they were a little ruffled from sleeping on them. And her left leg had been bouncing up and down nervously in a fast past, which alerted Emory to the fact that she was defiantly wrapped in her own nerves.

After a second of taking her in, Emory sat up and placed his legs on the floor, turning his attention away from the human, he rested his forearms on his legs and placed his hands on his face and slowly rubbed them against it, letting his hands travel up towards his head and run through his hair. Immediately after during so, a list of the things he had to do today started to form through his mind.

There was a sudden moment of silence, before a small chuckle could be heard leaving Danny's mouth.

Letting his hands drop to his side, Emory turned to face the small human, giving off an air of annoyance.

"I'm sorry." She spoke in a small voice, seeing the way that his eyes slit together. "It's just when you sit like that, you kind of look like Skylar." She said dipping her head and letting her eyes drop from him. "That being a given, especially since you are brothers." She added in a small voice, as she cleared her throat.

Focusing her attention on the only other person in the room, she found herself opening her mouth to speak again, not really happy about the silence that loomed in the air. "Clover run out on some type of errand, she didn't say what it was but she did say that she'd be back."

"Good to know." Emory stated in a short tone as he stood up and grabbed his suit jacket and his keys. Without saying a word he turned and began to make his way to the door as a list of things began to run through his head all things that needed to be done today, plus there was still the matter of his pack that needed to be handled.

Just as he neared the door, Danny stood up abruptly and called out, "Wait!" she all but yelled hoping that he'd listen to her. "Please." She stated in a softer tone.

With his back turned to her and his attention on the door, the only thing that kept him from losing it was the fact that he was in a place where humans lived, and he needed to keep up his act and not to draw attention to himself.

"Look, I know that you and I didn't start out on the greatest of terms," she said slowly moving closer to him, "but I don't want to be alone, and I would love to get to know Emory's brother, the one that he talked about." She said coming to a stop towards him, and placing a soft smile on her face. "Have breakfast with me." She stated in a matter of fact voice full of hope. "I might not be the world's top chief or anywhere close to it, but I can make a mean bowl of cereal." She added with a smile on her face that showed the slightest dimple in her left cheek that he hadn't noticed there before.

Again instead of answering, Danny was met with another round of silence as Emory turned his dark eyes on her.

After another minute of silence Danny gave in to a small sigh before stepping closer to him, "It's not rocket science Emory, it's only breakfast and I promise it won't kill you." She said reaching over and grabbing his arms pulling him over to the kitchen area and practically forcing him to sit in the stool by the island.