Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Looking down at the documents in front of them, there was nothing, but confusion written on their faces. Skylar, who had arrived back to his family home, had gone to the one person that he knew he could talk to about anything in the world. Sitting her down and explaining what happened in the meeting with Emory and showing her the files that he had to sign, he waited for her to voice her opinions, which he was sure that she had, and waited in silence as she pondered.

For him, the confusion came into play when he considered everything that his brother had done to both he and Danny and how he always seemed to have little to nothing to say around him, yet he was signing over a huge corporation like Reeds Enterprise. He got the part about him wanting to obey their father's wishes, but he still didn't understand his brother's motive.

Was this impending war, that serious to the point where Emory would just hand over everything that he spent his life working towards. He was Reed Enterprises and had done a great job at managing this since his childhood.

As much as it pained him to admit it, he didn't want to be a disappointment to Emory by taking over his company and crashing it to the ground. He knew next to nothing about the company or how to run it, and yet he sat there staring the papers before him down, with a huge amount of uncertainty hanging in the air.

As expected, Danny grabbed the papers and lifted up to the light as if trying to shine some lite onto what the documents were really asking of him, just as Clover and Craig came walking into the room.

"I mean is he seriously doing this?" Danny asked as she took her time examing the papers. "He's asking you to take full ownership of the company in his absence." She stated in disbelief. "Why would he do that?" she asked softly.

"It's his contingency plan." Clover said in a soft tone as her eyes fell on the two of them in the room, before her eyes shifted over to a silent Craig.

"Contingency?" Danny questioned in absolute puzzlement. "For what?"

"In case he-"

"Dies." Skylar said from his spot on the sofa as he placed his eyes on Craig, whom he just cut off. He knew what a war between wolves meant in that since his absence from the pack Emory and the others had been in a constant state of fighting. And as much as he didn't like it, he got it; wolves fought to kill, they fought for land and they fought for the blood of it. But when it came down to his brother who had been in several pack fights, he didn't understand the rate at which things had happened. He had been gone for four years, and within those four years, Emory had taking the heads of three Alpha's and was coming after Colton's next, which made him a huge threat. And as much as Skylar knew how alphas like to antagonize each other, at the rate that Emory was going, he wasn't too sure how all of this was sitting with the remaining alphas, and that part scared him the most.

And because of that, he still didn't have the slightest of clue on what was driving this war.

Sighing heavily and shifting his eyes to the papers in Danny's hand and holding on the thought of anything happening to his brother, Skylar rose from his spot on the sofa and slowly began to pace the room while his brain wondered.

After a minute or two passed with the same thoughts pounding around in his head, he stopped in his tracks and turned to face Clover and Craig, with only a question on his mind.

"Why?" he asked in a cluster of confusion. "Why is he fighting all of these wars?"

With the knowledge that Skylar wanted on both the tips of their tongues, both found themselves looking at the other before placing their eyes back on him. As much as they wanted to tell him, they both knew that it wasn't their place. If anything, Emory needed to be the one to tell him.