Ch.20

Ch. 20

After her talk with Skylar the other night, Clover felt like she was losing her mind. As much as it killed her to see Emory in the state that he was in gearing up to go to war with Colton and his pack, it killed her much more than she ever believed it would when it came to her and the secret that she had held for the last four years. How was she supposed to face him knowing what she did and knowing that she was still lying to him. Four years had come and gone, and she was no closer to telling him that his brother was her mate. Maybe there were times when they were alone and she felt like she was on the verge of just blurting things out, but yet she hadn't spoken anything of it.

She hated lying to him, but after a while she just couldn't bring herself to look him in the eyes and risk their friendship by telling her that she and Skylar were soulmates, he'd never look at her again, hell he would have hated her. At time when she wanted to tell him, she couldn't. Not with him dealing with thinking that his brother, whom he'd loved so dealing, had died. Back then they all believed that Skylar Reed had lost his life in the attack on their pack.

Believing what they had thought of Skylar's death, made it that much harder for her to tell him the truth, especially because she blamed herself. She blamed herself for rejecting him, she blamed herself from running away from him, for saying all of those horrible things that she had said about him. If she hated herself for her part in Skylar's death, she could only imagine how Emory would have taken it, after all he loved Skylar more than he loved himself. So the thought of losing him forever, especially when she had a connection to him through his brother, made the thought unbearable to do, so instead she had just held on to her secret and stayed by his side as his friend, as someone that could talk to. She knew that she was no Skylar and that she could never get him to open up to her the way that Skylar, but after losing Skylar, she did what she had do in order to make sure that his family was safe.

But now that she and everyone in their pack knew that Skylar was alive and back, she still found it hard to do.

Emory was her best friend, and after they had broken up, he become like a brother to her; she could dare lose what they had with each other. She didn't want to lose their friendship, but the thought of not telling him, soured her stomach, especially because it felt like her and Skylar were sneaking around behind his back, when that wasn't the case.

She felt lucky that she had another chance to be with the man that was meant to be with her, that was made for her. But she also felt like they weren't being true to themselves, not when Emory didn't know the real reason for Skylar's disappearance.

The truth was, she had broken Skylar's heart, she had ruined both of the Reed's brother's relationship with each other, and she unintentionally killed Angel Reed. It was her fault that Skylar run away. By him leaving the pack, leading everyone to believe that he had been killed in the attack, Angel lost his last link to his beloved Regina, and it pushed him to do the unthinkable, taking his own life.

She did that, and she knew it, which made the hatred she felt for herself all the more worse. The only thing she had every wanted was to be loved by Emory, but then when she found out about Skylar being her mate, he was all she craved, and the fact that he at the time was believed to be dead killed her on so many levels.

When she got that call from him, and she heard his voice, the only thing that she wanted was to make things right, but she didn't know how. And now both of the Reed brothers where so far about that it felt like they were worlds apart.

Lifting her hand and knocking on the door of the construction site trailer, Clover took in a deep breath and waited for the door to open.