Chapter 7: Veiled threats and empty promises.

-

-

-

-

-

My sleep was restless. I tossed and turned most of the night. Every time I closed my eyes, I feared I'd see Aleksander, but I didn't.

Instead, I saw a cave. It was dark and there was water. I could hear it dripping down the cave walls. I could feel it soaking the bottom of my pants. I couldn't get out, no matter how far I walked or what turns I took, I was stuck there.

I woke up to Mal's snoring. I turned and noticed faint streaks of light coming in through the port holes. It must be almost dawn.

I sat up and realized Alina's bed was empty.

It didn't take me long to find her, she was in the same spot we had been sitting yesterday. She was starring out at the water, her knee tucked into her chest.

I could tell she was lost in thought, her mind a million miles away.

Something was bothering her; I could feel it.

I took a seat on the ground next to her. I let my shoulder press against hers, offering her silent comfort.

We sat like there for awhile, watching as the waves lapped softly against the side of the ship.

"I saw him last night," she whispered, finally breaking the silence.

I took a deep breath, blocking out the residue ache I felt for Aleksander.

"What did he say?"

"More of the same. Veiled threats and empty promises."

Sounds like him.

I leaned my head on her shoulder, wishing I could somehow stop this from happening.

"I'm sorry," I whispered back.

"Do you ever wish you never met me? If you hadn't helped Mal and I that night at that clinic none of this would be happening. You'd be an army medic, probably promoted to doctor soon. You'd have a normal life, the life you wanted."

I let out a sigh. I would be lying if I said I never thought about it. If I hadn't been awake that night, if I hadn't snuck Alina and Mal inside the clinic to patch Mal up, we would never have met. If we hadn't met, I wouldn't have gone in the Fold, I wouldn't had discovered my powers or met Aleksander.

But then I wouldn't know Mal or Alina and the thought of not knowing them, not loving them felt wrong. I knew that even if I could go back and change it, I wouldn't.

"I think we would have met regardless," I answered. Had it not been that night, it would have been another night. I bumped my shoulder against hers, grinning. "Where there's an Exchange—"

"--A Sun Summoner soon follows," Alina finished.

We laughed and I felt some of the tension leave my body.

"But to answer your question—," I reached over and intertwined my fingers with hers, giving her hand a gentle squeeze. "I wouldn't change a thing, not if it meant I'd never know you or Mal."

She smiled.

"I love you," she whispered, looking back out at the water.

"I love you too."

"Isn't this cozy?"

I glanced back at Sturmhond to find him grinning. I remembered how close he had stood to me last night, the way he looked at me when he told me I was hope for the future. I felt my cheeks heat up and I quickly looked away.