Chapter 32: Baghra's ending.

-

-

-

-

The world around me blurred and Aleksander's grip vanished from my throat. My knees buckled and I hit the ground hard, struggling to take in my surroundings. Instead of concrete stretched out across the floor it was a thick, soft rug. The walls of Morozova's workshop faded away and instead I realized we were in a dark tent.

I had been here before, it was Aleksander's tent.

Aleksander was on the floor across from me, unconscious. I looked back and saw Baghra had already gathered herself.

"Evelynn, you must go, this is between me and my son."

I stumbled to my feet, feeling sick and unsteady.

"No, I'm not leaving you—"

"I made a promise to your mother that I would keep you safe, this is how I keep that promise." She hurried to my side, reaching for me before I had a chance to protest. She pulled me close, wrapping her arms around me and encircling me in her warm embrace. "Now that Sebastian's been laid to rest, my time here is done. I'll do what I can weaken Aleksander, but you must go."

Tears welled up in my eyes and I tightened my hold on her, refusing to let this be her end.

"Baghra, please. Let me help you."

"Promise me that when this is all over, you'll find that prince of yours and you'll be happy. He's good for you, and you're good for him, that's what matters." She pulled back, a look of determination flashing in her dark eyes as she nodded towards the flap of the tent. "Go now, Mal can't carry both you and Alina."

I hesitated.

I could smell smoke in the air, feel the heat of flames. The workshop was on fire, my body was there but my mind was here.

How could I just leave her here to die?

Aleksander groaned and started to stir. As he came to, his eyes narrowed, focusing on Baghra.

"We have lived through an eternity together, there is no need for this," Aleksander argued, climbing to his feet. "Have some faith in me, mother."

"It can't go on boy."

"Then let me end it!" he shouted. "Tell me where to find the Firebird!"

Baghra shook her head.

"Its too late for the Firebird and for bargains."

Aleksander took a step back, his eyes growing wide.

"Please, don't threaten me, it will be worse for you." I realized he wasn't scared of Baghra, he was scared about what he would do to her. He backed away from her, for the first time ever I saw true fear in his eyes. "Evelynn, tell her, please!"

I stepped away from the exit, moving towards where Baghra and Aleksander were standing.

"Baghra, what are you doing?"

Baghra didn't glance back at me.

"Know that I loved you, Aleksander, know that it wasn't enough," she whispered.

She summoned and on cue the Nichevo'ya took form around Aleksander, sensing her as the threat that she was.

"No, please, don't!" Aleksander screamed.

I moved my arms to summon but nothing happened, no light came.

The Nichevo'ya moved at inhuman speed, swiping a clawed hand straight through her throat.

"No!"

A scream of my own tore free from my throat as blood spewed from the wound. The Nichevo'ya vanished as quickly as they appeared. Baghra's knees buckled as she fell to the ground. Aleksander was at her side in seconds, cradling her body against his.

I tried to move, I tried to go to them, but I couldn't, it was as if someone had come along and glued my feet to the ground.

"I—I never mean for this, I swear," Aleksander whispered.

"S-S-Shush, child. Shush now," Baghra rasped. Her eyes locked with mine over Aleksander's shoulder. "It's already h-h-happened."

Her hand dropped to his, her body jerking forward with the last of her strength as she summoned the Cut once again, her shadows passed through Aleksander's wrist, severing his hand from his arm.

Aleksander screamed, the sound echoing through my head as I felt our bond start to shatter all around us. The world around me blurred as I was pulled from the mind space. The last thing I heard was his screams of agony as I tumbled into darkness.