Chapter 21: Before.

-

-

-

-

It had been four days since my fight with Alina and I hadn't spoken to her since. I thought avoiding her might prove difficult, but as it turns out, it was fairly easy. When I wasn't training, I was tucked away in the library, reading every passage, from every book that contained even a mention of Merzost.

The only reprieve I gave myself was at night, when I crawled into Nikolai's bed. I kept my mind busy and pushed my body to the limit, making sure by the time nightfall came, I was utterly and truly exhausted. This seemed to give me the edge I needed to block the bond with not only Alina, but Aleksander as well. 

I hadn't seen Aleksander since he had come to me in my dreams, disguising himself as Nikolai so that I would let my guard down. I could still feel him, watching, waiting around the outskirts of our bond, trying and failing to make a connection. I could feel his frustration growing, which only made me want to push myself harder. It was like a game of chicken, and so far, I was winning.

I stood in the dressing room, letting Kenna and the other hand maidens get me ready for the engagement dinner.

They pulled and prodded at my face and hair, working their magic as I sat in the chair and forced myself to keep still.

"Almost done," Kenna murmured.

She pulled at my curls, taking her time as she strategically pinned them, leaving a few strands down as she tucked the rest behind my ear.

"There!" She pulled away, her smile beaming as she clapped her hands together. "Now all your missing is the dress."

I bit back a groan, leaning back in my seat. Saints only knows what the Queen had created for me.

"Tell me, is it horrendous?" I asked.

Kenna laughed, shaking her head.

"I already told you, it's lovely."

I watched as she walked out of the room, stepping into the closet to retrieve the dress.

"Ready?" she called out from behind the door.

If it had feathers I was going to cry.

She stepped into the room, the dress held up in both hands. My breath caught in my throat as I took in the site of the silk gown. It was beautiful, it was nothing like I had pictured.

I hurried to my feet and rushed over to examine it. It was a pastel green, with intrinsic leaves and flowers sewn into it. It wasn't puffy, there was no corset or layered skirt. It was breath taking. I looked up and realized there were no sleeves either, only thin straps made of flowers and leaves.

"The Queen designed this?"

"Hurry, we don't have much time until your escort arrives."

I shed the silk robe I was wearing and let Kenna help me into the dress. It fit me perfectly and I quickly decided this was the nicest thing I had ever worn. The skirt had a small slit in it for my right leg, making it easy to maneuver in. I starred at myself in the mirror, hardly recognizing the girl starring back at me.

My chest constricted and for a second, I felt like I was back in the little Palace, getting ready for the Grisha ball.

"Almost forgot."

I turned and saw Kenna approaching me, a diamond tiara in her hand.

"After tonight, you'll officially be the prince's fiancée."