Ready

An hour later, Sophie, Keefe and Fitz were seated in Magnate Leto's office with Leto and Tiergan.

"We talked it over," Sophie started. "And the three of us have agreed. We will perform this memory break without a fight if Keefe can be there with us. You couldn't ask for a better Empath to monitor our emotions. Apart from the fact that he's a very powerful Empath, he already knows us well and is already in tune with our emotions."

"I completely agree with you," Tiergan said. "And personally I think Keefe has every right to be there if that's what he wants. I just don't know what the Council will say."

Tiergan left the room to go speak with the Council. Sophie looked steadily at Leto and said, "we spoke with Oralie yesterday. She said she could be there, too, to help monitor our emotions—Keefe's included—if that would help persuade the rest of the Council."

"We'll see what they decide," Leto said. "Cassius has made the same offer, he came to see me last night hoping that the headmaster of the school could persuade them. But I doubt they will want husband and son both there."

Keefe looked dumbfounded. "What's he playing at?" he mumbled to himself.

"The pressing matter right now is whether you have any questions," Leto said, looking to Fitz and Sophie.

"Well...we've never done a memory break together before," Fitz said. "We've discussed them at length in training, of course, and Sophie was involved with Fintan's, but is there anything else we really need to know?"

"I don't think so. Especially when the two of you work together, you seem to intuitively know what to do. I have full confidence that Tiergan has already taught you everything you need to know."

"Is there any specific information we are supposed to be looking for?" Sophie asked.

"That will be a question for the Council, but I believe they just want names and locations, if possible, of any remaining Neverseen agents or hideouts."

Sophie and Fitz both nodded.

"Right now, if you don't have any more questions about performing a memory break, then I suggest you prepare yourselves. I think they want to get this done as soon as possible."

He let them stay in his office and discuss things privately. Keefe smirked and promised not to blow it up again.

"Well, before the Fitzphie eye staring starts, I want to say something," Keefe said the moment the door closed behind Leto. "Fitz. Sophie showed me yesterday's conversation. Thank you for the way you handled everything. You were obviously more worried about Sophie and about me than you were about yourself. You looked out for us and tried to protect us—to protect Sophie. Thanks for that." He grinned at Fitz.

Fitz flashed a smile back at him. "You're my best friend. Sophie is not only my Cognate—my work partner—but close friend. You're like...like my brother and sister. I love you both. I couldn't have done any different."

Then it was time to get to business.

"Here's the deal," Fitz said. "We have no idea what we are walking into, in terms of information. And we don't know who else might be in the room with us." He looked at Keefe. "I don't know if they'll want us sharing what we find if you dad is in the room, they might want us to only share it with the Council members themselves."

"So what you're saying is, if you don't tell me what you find out, don't take it personally?"

"Exactly. And just know we'll tell you everything after—whether we're supposed to or not."

"I think it's more likely that Oralie will be with us, not Cassius," Sophie pointed out. "They won't want a big crowd in the room, but I'm sure they'll want at least one Councilor, so it makes a lot more sense to have Oralie there."

"Agreed," Fitz said. "And we'd all be more comfortable with Oralie in the room anyway. Having an unsatisfactory parent in the room with us, watching and monitoring the assignment, doesn't sound like it would be good for anyone. Oralie makes a lot more sense, she doesn't come with the baggage that Cassius does."

Keefe locked eyes with Sophie and winked at her, but said nothing.

She knew Fitz wouldn't try to use that information now, but still better that as few people as possible knew the truth.

While waiting for Tiergan to return, Keefe quietly asked Sophie is she was still doing okay. When she assured him that she was, he whispered "don't forget how much I love you."

Fitz looked at them curiously. "Is everything okay?"

Keefe glanced at Sophie, who nodded to show it was okay to share, before looking at Fitz. "It was just kind of a rough night. Sophie had a pretty bad nightmare."

"About Gisela?" Fitz asked. "You know we can handle her."

"No, she was suffering under the crazy notion that I might hate the two of you for this, and that it would ruin our marriage." He looked at Sophie and earnestly muttered, "which is crazy talk because I love you."

"Oh," Fitz said quietly. "I think I'm partly to blame for that. The last time someone's parent broke, it was my dad, and I treated her horribly."

"That was years ago and we've moved past it," Sophie reminded him quickly. She couldn't let him feel guilty for that. "Don't blame yourself. Besides, Keefe calmed me down and everything is fine."

Keefe wrapped an arm around Sophie and kissed her forehead. She smiled gratefully at him.

Fitz smiled softly. "Marriage really suits you," he told them.

Before long, Tiergan had reentered the room. "The Council has agreed to let Keefe accompany you, so long as Councilor Oralie is present. They'd also like to have Grady be there too."

"Grady?" Sophie asked curiously.

"They don't anticipate anything dangerous, but if Gisela were to try anything, having a Mesmer there would be beneficial," Tiergan pointed out.

"Have you already hailed him?" Sophie asked.

"Yes, and he's agreed. Everyone would prefer to get this over with now, so Oralie will be here in a few minutes to escort you to Exile if you three are ready."

Fitz glanced at Keefe for confirmation, who reached out and took Sophie's hand, squeezing it gently. Sophie smiled. No wonder they all made such a good team.

"We're ready," Sophie declared.