Pregnant

"I'm pregnant?" Sophie said, placing her hand over her abdomen, thinking of the life that had just sparked inside of her. "I'm pregnant."

"We're going to have a baby," Keefe said, tears shining in his eyes. "I mean, I knew this was going to happen soon, but that's so different than it really happening." How long they stood there, hands pressed against her still flat--for now--belly, staring at each other with excitement in their eyes, Sophie wasn't sure.

But eventually, they sat back down on the bed and began to discuss what they should do.

"I still don't really know how it works for elves," Sophie admitted. "Humans have to have all kinds of prenatal care to protect them and the baby, but I know things are a lot less uncertain for us. What do we do?"

"I mean...I've never had a baby," Keefe pointed out. "But I know we need to register the baby and make note of his or her inception date. And I think we should tell Elwin, since you'll still be at Foxfire for a big part of the pregnancy, and he can help if you need anything."

Sophie shuddered. "He won't have to do any exams or anything, will he? Because that might be weird."

Keefe laughed. "I don't know exactly what you mean, but they don't have to do much for you during the pregnancy. And it won't be Elwin or Livvy at the birthing center when the time comes. They have physicians specifically trained to deliver babies. But if we see Elwin or Livvy, we can find out more of what you might need, and maybe find out the baby's gender."

"We can find that out so soon?" Sophie asked, surprised. "Humans have to be a few weeks along before a blood test will tell them anything and even further along before they can have an ultrasound tell them."

Keefe looked appalled. "A blood test? No. I bet Elwin could do some fancy flasher tricks and look at your cells or your blood without having to draw any blood. Unless you'd rather see Livvy."

"Elwin makes sense," Sophie mused. "He's treated me regularly for years, and you're right, I'll be at Foxfire so if I need anything, it would mostly be him taking care of me. Of us," she added with a whisper, splaying her hands across her abdomen again. "But...we can't tell Elwin before we tell our parents."

"Your parents," Keefe corrected. "We don't have to be in a hurry to tell my dad."

Sophie wasn't sure that was the right thing to do, but decided to let that go for now. She didn't want to put a damper on his mood.

She'd never seen him so excited. At least not in this way. Not the funny, gloating boy who'd just won a game of Base Quest or the giddy, amused boy who was so pleased when she first brought him E.L. Fudges. This was a deep, joyful, intense excitement.

"Let's get dressed and go to Havenfield, then," Sophie decided.

"Okay, but you need to eat something first." Keefe wrapped his arms around Sophie's waist and kissed her gently. "You have to take care of yourself--and the baby."

"Our baby," Sophie whispered.

"Our baby," Keefe agreed, tears in his eyes again.

So they quickly got up and dressed. While Sophie worked to tame her hair, Keefe ran downstairs to grab some food. Sophie tried to argue that she was capable of going downstairs to eat, but Keefe insisted that she let him pamper her a little--and won the argument when he pointed out that the sooner she ate, the sooner they could leap to Havenfield.

Edaline and Grady were both out working in the pastures when they arrived. "Hey, kiddo," Grady called, running over to give them both a hug. Edaline was right behind him.

"We weren't expecting you, were we?" she asked. "Is this just a surprise visit?"

"Yes, we wanted to see you," Sophie started, taking Keefe's hand.

But Grady cut in. "It's good timing, you can help us wrangle some of our newest additions. One of them in particular requires quite a bit of tackling and wrestling to force him to eat."

"Absolutely not," Keefe said, looking at Sophie protectively. "I'll help if you need it."

"Everything okay?" Edaline asked.

Sophie felt a thrill of excitement as she tightened her grip on Keefe's hand and looked at her parents. "Everything is more than okay," she told them. "I'm pregnant."

Grady and Edaline both looked like the sheer joy of this news could knock them over. There were tears and hugs and questions and advice, followed by more tears and hugs. They agreed that Sophie should ask to see Elwin that morning, so that he would know to have the Healing Center at Foxfire stocked with elixirs for nausea and fatigue when sessions started back—and so that they could find out the baby's gender.

Edaline also assured her that their gnomish diets paired with the elves' naturally stronger bodies meant that pregnancy wouldn't take as much of a toll on her as it would a human—but that she was still building a person inside of her and that would come with some symptoms.

Finally, after Edaline and Grady had both kissed Sophie's cheeks and congratulated them again, Keefe hailed Elwin and asked him if they could meet. He agreed to meet them at Foxfire, after Keefe's assurances that while it was important, Elwin didn't need to be worried.

So when Sophie announced that she was pregnant, and wanted to know that he'd have the appropriate elixirs in stock when school started back, he threw his arms around both of them and gave them a big hug.

"Just think," Elwin told them. "All the years we spent, the three of us together in this little Healing Center, did you ever think you'd be here, married, telling me you're going to have a child?"

"Oh, I hoped for it," Keefe said.

Elwin nodded. "I suspected for a long time, actually, that it would be the two of you in the end. Ever since Keefe had that sparring match with Dimitar." He laughed. "The way Sophie was so angry...well, anyway. Let me give you a quick check-up. And make sure you're drinking even more bottles of Youth every day than normal--it'll keep you hydrated and healthy so your body can focus on growing that baby." He began flashing his different colored orbs and examining Sophie until he was satisfied that she was beginning the pregnancy as healthy as possible.

"Can you tell us whether we're having a boy or a girl yet?" Sophie asked.

"Oh, yes, I can quickly discern that without any doubt."

Keefe grabbed Sophie's hand while Elwin did one final check. He smiled up at them.

"Congratulations. You're having a little girl."