Trust (Keefe POV)

"So Sophie and Linh's insistence on hanging out with Biana for 'girl time' is just an excuse to keep Biana occupied while Dex shops for a ring?" Fitz asked Keefe, flopping onto the couch in Aeternum's living room.

"Pretty much," Keefe agreed. "Although I think Sophie was also antsy because Oralie is telling the Council today that Kenric is alive. This is a good distraction for her too. But, does Linh know that Dex is ring shopping today?"

"I told her yesterday that Dex plans to propose soon, so maybe."

"I'm kind of surprised Dex didn't ask you to help him look."

"He asked me to help him plan the proposal, which is kind of funny since it's not like I've ever proposed to a girl before."

"Neither has he," Keefe pointed out. He smirked at Fitz. "Alright, now it's time to spill. Tell me all about Linh."

Fitz bit his lip. "I can't believe it took me so long to admit to myself how I felt about her," he admitted.

No kidding. He'd obviously been intrigued by her since they'd first met, even if his feelings for Sophie had been stronger then. Sophie had suspected Fitz's interest in Linh too. It was something that made Keefe love Sophie even more. She felt jealous, but never once let it show or affect her friendship with Linh.

It took all of Keefe's willpower not to try to encourage Fitz towards Linh back then, but couldn't stand the idea of Linh getting hurt if it didn't work out, or Sophie getting hurt if Fitz had chosen Linh over her.

Ugh, feelings were so complicated. But he'd never take for granted his ability to discern peoples' emotions, not after he lost the use of his empathy for a while.

"Did you tell her that? Before you smooched her by the pond?"

"Hey! You were watching us?!"

Keefe laughed. "Not the whole time. But we went into the kitchen to grab drinks for everyone and we saw you through the kitchen window. Just in time to see you kiss her. Sophie made us turn away after that, though it was obvious she thought the two of you were the cutest thing she'd ever seen. Apart from my handsome face, that is."

"Remind me to thank her, at least, for giving me the dignity of privacy," Fitz said, punching Keefe on the arm.

"Hey, dude, you were the one kissing a girl on my property," Keefe said, unabashed.

"Well, I'd have told you anyway I guess."

"Yeah, I'd have badgered you to death about it if not."

"Well you don't have to do that. At first we just talked about Kenric--Tam and Linh didn't know him personally, since he 'died' while she was still banished. But that got us talking about when we first met, and somehow I worked up the courage to tell her that I'd always been impressed by her, but that I'd been realizing lately that I wasn't just impressed with her ability or her control, or her beauty, but with her."

"And then she told you she'd always loved you and has spent years pining away hoping you'd take notice of her?"

Fitz rolled his eyes. "Hardly. Actually she just seemed really pleased and told me she's liked me for a while, but didn't think anything would come of it because my family is so prominent that she didn't think I'd look her way." He shook his head. "Apparently the Vacker legacy is being seen as snobby and aloof."

"Only because of the family name," Keefe told him seriously. "You, Biana and your parents are neither snobby nor aloof."

"I don't think Linh thought I was either. She just thought there was too big a rift I guess, especially when I started dating Sophie. And...she said the way things went down with Sophie were discouraging to her." He shook his head again. "So stupid," he whispered. "Even now, even though it's abundantly clear Sophie and I weren't meant to be...it still makes me sick to my stomach to think about how easily I got angry back then. And how much emphasis I put on the match."