Chapter 31

UNFORTUNATELY SHORT!

🦇🦇

Morticia stands in the middle of the nightshade's secret room, staring at every picture frame on the walls.

"Hello, Mother." she turns behind her when she heard a manly voice. She smiles as she saw her son coming down the stairs. "Hello, Wednesday."

Then, she hears the sound of footsteps from her side. She and her son turns to the sound of the footsteps and saw Y/n coming out from a room.

Y/n stopped walking when her eyes landed on them. She was carrying a book. "And Y/n," Morticia added with a wider smile.

The young woman only nods to greet them.

"So you two are nightshade. That didn't take long for Wednesday." Morticia stated proudly.

Y/n gives a formal smile. "Actually, I was. For a year." she told Morticia.

Wednesday walks towards his mother. "Actually, I rejected them." he stands in front of her.

"why? Because I was a member?" Morticia asks like she already knew the answer.

"I'll never live up to your legacy here, so why try?" Morticia didn't speak as Wednesday said the words. "I win the Poe Cup, you claimed it four times. I join the fencing team, you captained it."

Wednesday pauses for a second while Y/n silently listen to them. "Why would you send me somewhere I could only ever exist in your shadow?" Wednesday asked.

"It's not a competition, Wednesday," Morticia stated.

"Everything is a competition, Mother. But mostly I rejected them because they're a trivial social club." He argues back.

At this point, Y/n was thinking that maybe she should leave them, but at the same time, she felt like she needed to wait for their next words.

Morticia speaks. "We used to be so much more. Our mission was to protect outcasts from harm and bigotry."

Wednesday's ego lowers down into a curiosity as he tilts his head to the side very lightly. Morticia continues to speak. "In fact, the group was started by an ancestor of your father's from Mexico. One of the first settlers in America."

Y/n slightly furrow her brows when she remembers someone. "Goody." Wednesday suddenly said as he thought about the ancestor his mother was talking about.

Morticia's lips tighten as Wednesday speaks. "I saw her painting at Pilgrim World."

"Oh. How ironic, since she was the one who killed Joseph Crackstone." both Y/n and Wednesday listen to Morticia carefully. "The nightshades we're her secret, but deadly, answer to his oppression."

Wednesday's lips part. Y/n tilts her head slightly upward as they listen more to her words. "I know why you've come here, Wednesday. So go on. Ask."

He stayed silent for a while before he asks, "Father didn't kill Garrett Gates, did he?"

Morticia's eyes glisten with the memories of an unfortunate event. "No." she simply answered.