Chapter 𝟭𝟭

Mark stayed over for another hour. They would've had a great time talking to each other if not for Donghyuck's dad. That man interrupted any normal conversations and turned them to Mark's disadvantage. He asked weird questions such as whether Mark was good at Math (perhaps, he knew that people in languages & literature were less skilled in mathematics), what he thinks of that political party, and his views about religion.

Teacher Lee seemed not to notice it. Donghyuck could tell that he was a bit tired by the way he rubbed his eyes once in a while or zoned out. Remembering what he said before—and it was that dyslexia came out when he was tired—it was obvious that he had difficulty reading social cues. His responses also became slower as Mr. Lee picked on him more.

Donghyuck felt bad for him, so he tried to save him from the tricky questions his dad demonstrated. He interrupted the older man and even talked over him several times. Mark was confused as to who to listen to, but it usually ended with him answering Donghyuck since he was the latest one to raise a question.

The younger's effort to change the atmosphere was always overshadowed the moment Dad presented his questions. Asking those questions, Dad tried to turn Mark into a fool and completely ruin his image in Donghyuck's eyes. He asked even more sensitive questions as minutes passed. Usually, such things shouldn't be asked when you meet a person only for a second time.

The old man's efforts were pointless, however. Because when Dad attacked Mark like this, he didn't make Donghyuck step away. Instead, he created another image in Donghyuck's head—Mark was defenseless when he was tired and needed help.

"So, do you have kids?" Dad asked out of the blue after Donghyuck managed to talk to Mark and make him comfortable again.

"Dad," Donghyuck didn't even hide his annoyance. "Why would you ask this Teacher Lee?"

"He's good with kids. He must have one on his own. He also has to have a lover or something. There's no way he's single. I mean, you're not a loser, are you?"

Donghyuck froze. He wanted to vanish into thin air. Mark looked at the old man in confusion, obviously surprised by the latter's audacity. Since it was awkward and Donghyuck had no idea what to do, he attacked his father.

"Dad!" Donghyuck rolled his eyes. "I told you not to joke around less known people. You come out as a total prick."

"What's wrong with this question?" the old man got defensive. "If a thirty years old man is still single with no kids, he's a loser. That's what I was taught."

"In your time, it was normal to get pregnant by twenty, if not earlier. So, stop it," Donghyuck hissed.

"Well, guess, I'm a loser, Mr. Lee," Mark chuckled. "I don't have a lover. I don't have kids. I'm a workaholic, actually. I like working and seeing other people happy."

"Then you won't survive in this world. People need—"

"Enough with your philosophy, Dad," Donghyuck cut him off, faking a laugh. "It doesn't work like this either."

Dad grumbled something under his nose. It was great that neither Mark nor Donghyuck heard it.

"Oh, I have to be somewhere," Teacher Lee said all of a sudden. Then his phone started buzzing. "I should get going."

Glancing at the clock, Donghyuck noticed it was already 5 PM. The last time he looked at it, it was still 1 PM, the perfect time for studying and all. Well, it seemed like having guests made the time go faster.

Mark got up from the floor and collected a few of his things, such as glasses, a bag, and a book he brought. Passing by Dongchan, who was there all the time but was busy playing with his toy cars and, thankfully, filled the awkward silence with car noises, Mark waved goodbye.