Chapter 𝟮𝟯

As everything was going perfectly—Dongwoo and Dongmin planned to come over and babysit Dongchan—Donghyuck knew he would get the chance to see Mark this weekend. So, with the thought of planning it all with the older one on Friday, after tutoring Dongchan, Donghyuck was beaming with happiness.

Unfortunately, not everything went according to his plan.

Right after Donghyuck picked his son up from school, Mark informed him that he'd be late for a few minutes. Leave the door unlocked, he texted. So, Donghyuck didn't expect to meet anyone near his apartment. Listening to Dongchan's school adventures and the new friends he had made (just because this extroverted Papa started engaging in conversations with other parents), Donghyuck was proud. He watched how Dongchan didn't stop talking even for a second as they climbed up the stairs—a great tactic to make the kid sleep like a baby—he didn't trip. Instead, he was agile and fast, which was weird when he sometimes tripped over nothing.

"Papa, do you want to race?" the kid asked suddenly.

"No, not really—"

Dongchan didn't hear it. He sprinted up the stairs, receiving a gasp from Papa. Donghyuck also rushed up the stairs, ready to catch the kid and turn everything in his favor. Smiling widely, he was about to say something when his eyes landed on the man, he hadn't seen for at least three years.

"Hello, Donghyuck," Haewon, his ex-boyfriend said, forcing a smile.

"W-what are you doing here?" the man asked, coming closer to Dongchan and embracing him. The kid was as surprised as he was.

"I wanted to see you. Sorry, I would've called you, but you changed your number..."

"I'm not ready to take in any guests," Donghyuck mumbled, taking out the keys and approaching the door. This way, he expected to end the conversation right there.

But his ex-boyfriend was too persistent.

"I just want to talk. Really shortly."

"I don't have time. I'm waiting for Dongchan's tutor," Donghyuck sighed apologetically.

Upon hearing the kid's name, Haewon shifted his eyes to him. As if he saw the child only then. He smiled, but Dongchan didn't return the same. Donghyuck took the opportunity and unlocked the door. He pushed Dongchan inside but couldn't get in without Haewon on his tail. The ex-boyfriend was so slick that not only did he manage to fit through the door, but he also got inside the apartment.

"Haewon..." Donghyuck hissed, chasing that man to the living room. "Please, leave. I'm not in the mood to talk right now."

"Listen," the ex-lover said, gathering Donghyuck's hands into his. "I really miss you. Lately, I've been thinking a lot about you, and when I do, I realize that we did so wrong by ending our friendship so suddenly."

"Still..."

"I understand why you're so cold right now, I was wrong for disappearing, but I think I matured over these years. I think we can be friends again," Haewon went on, caressing Donghyuck's hands. The latter didn't know where to look, so he just stared behind the man, at the kitchen wall. "We did so great before."

Donghyuck looked up at his ex-boyfriend. Not only because he was touched, but also because of the deceitfulness he felt from something that got him here. For three years, Donghyuck never saw him and now, all of sudden, his ex-boyfriend came here just because... he wanted to be friends?

"Haewon... Let's not talk about that, okay? I—"

"There's nothing much to talk about," he said, then fell on his knees quite dramatically. "I'm returning to XX Company again, and I want us to be friends. Please, be my guide! So much changed in your company..."