Chapter 𝟯𝟰

Donghyuck thought that everything that happened last night would remain the previous night's experience. So, with a head free from excessive thoughts, he made his son breakfast and sat down to join him. Not long ago, actually, during the vacation, when the family was always around him, he realized how vital breakfast was. If he had a heavy breakfast, sometimes he could get lunch way later. But it wasn't what pushed him to do this. In fact, the thing that really made him return to breakfast was the baby. Donghyuck didn't want to skip meals when he was pregnant.

It had to be a calm morning, but Dongchan had other plans. Waiting for Papa to finish talking about how he'd have to live with his grandparents for a little, Dongchan played with food. Just as Donghyuck stopped and asked if the food wasn't good, his son shook his head.

"Can I ask you a question, Papa?" he said right after.

"Sure. Ask me anything," Donghyuck smiled, unaware of the question.

"Is it easy to fall in love?"

Since it came out of the blue, Donghyuck couldn't help but chuckle in surprise. He had to get serious because soon he saw how expectant Dongchan was. It would've been rude to make fun of the kid for asking such a question.

"It depends on the people. Some may fall in love just in a few days, others may need years..."

Dongchan's face showed that he was in deep thought after he heard the response. Even though he looked at Papa, his being was somewhere else.

"Why are you asking me this?" Donghyuck giggled, bringing his son back to the breakfast table. "Are you thinking about that girl Teacher Lee told me?"

Dongchan blinked once, then twice. From such a reaction, Donghyuck just learned that it wasn't even a crush. The kid seemed not to know what his parent talked about.

"No, I asked you this because of Teacher Lee," Dongchan said, quietly, but then, in a determination that came out of nowhere, he stated, "Last night, I thought about what would happen if Teacher Lee became my daddy."

"Channie..." Donghyuck uncomfortably shifted in his seat.

"No, Papa, listen! We both like him very much. He understands me so well, and he always makes you smile. He's not like Uncle Won!" Dongchan went on, and now the flames of determination could be seen even in his eyes. "You like him as a friend, but if you spend more time together—"

"What I said before applies to this situation, too," Donghyuck sighed. "What if I would need years to feel something for him? You see, baby, sometimes people don't match at all. That's why the term 'one-sided love' exists."

The kid paused, but this time, his thoughts didn't reflect on his face. Instead, he looked at Donghyuck as if analyzing him, then asked a shocking question. "Do you really don't feel anything for him, Papa? Not even a little crush?"

It was like a defensive mechanism suddenly kicked in and Donghyuck sat up straight.

"No, Channie. I only like him as a friend. What makes you think otherwise?"

"Because you always smile when he's around, Papa. He takes your attention away from other things. I've never seen you biting your nails when you're with Teacher Lee! That's so cool that you forget your bad habits!" Dongchan said excitedly. "Uncle Woo said that people become like that when they like someone."

Donghyuck sat there speechless for a second. It was great that the doorbell rang and brought him back to reality.

"Channie, I like him as a friend," Donghyuck repeated, but it sounded weaker.

Dongchan, his very own son, seemed too naive and childish to catch it but smiled, and jumped in his seat. "Papa, you're lying! Your voice changed! Also, you're blushing!"