Chapter 𝟰𝟮

"They'd follow us," Mark said, glancing at the rear-view window. "At least one of them will."

"I know, and I'm kind of sick of that," Donghyuck grumbled. "I just want to crash at your place and sleep, but before that, I want to bring Nyx to Dongchan."

"He missed her?"

"Yup, and she missed him. My heart hurt as I watched her through the cameras. She needs him."

Donghyuck closed his eyes and enjoyed a peaceful ride as he kind of felt there would be more when he reached his family house. Dongmin heard many things, so there was no way he'd keep quiet. That's why Donghyuck started thinking about throwing all the news to Mom first before his brother.

As soon as they exited the car, the older helped Donghyuck take Nyx from the backseat. Sometimes Mom didn't need calls as she saw everything that happened around the house, and that time wasn't an exception. She noticed Donghyuck through the living room window and then walked outside to see him behind the fence.

"Is everything alright? I sent Dongmin—"

She paused as she noticed Mark. She glanced at Donghyuck, then smiled at the teacher.

"It's nice to see you, Teacher Lee!" she said with great enthusiasm.

"Everyone knows me even though it's my first time seeing them. First, your brother who wanted to deliver a tirade about how he hates books so bad, and now your mom," he whispered to Donghyuck, then smiled at Mrs. Lee. "It's nice to see you too, Mom Lee."

"M-Mom?" the woman appeared perplexed.

"There are a few things I wanted to tell you," Donghyuck said as he went closer to her, bringing the cat with him. "Is Dongchan around?"

"He's watching TV," Mom said but remained fogged with confusion. "Do you want me to bring him here?"

"No, please don't," Donghyuck scoffed. "I'm certain Dongmin is on the way with juicy information, so I'll tell you everything before him."

Mom nodded, glancing at Mark.

"Well, Teacher Lee and I are kind of seeing each other, and now we... want to take things to another level, so..." the son said, trying so hard not to blush as it was awkward to tell such news about his son's dad.

"We're dating," Mark finished with a confident smile, stopping beside Donghyuck. "And have serious intentions. I really love your son."

Donghyuck's heart melted. No, he would've almost melted himself, like a forgotten ice cream on the car roof, if not for his mom.

"And that means..." she urged her son to disclose more, glancing at one then another.

Donghyuck understood her right away.

"He knows about Dongchan," he said with a sigh. "He knows Dongchan is his son."

"Congratulations on becoming a father," Mom said, smiling delicately as she had no negative feelings toward Mark, especially when he helped Donghyuck out when Haewon bothered him.

"Well, about that," Donghyuck awkwardly laughed. "You'll have to say it twice since we're expecting another child..."

Mom gasped and covered her mouth, "How long?"

"Not very long," her son just shrugged his shoulders, refusing to tell the exact date not only because he wasn't sure but also because he was too shy.

It was way easier eight years ago for him to walk into the living room and tell everyone he was pregnant. Because he didn't have the baby's father right beside him. But now he was a little bit embarrassed because Mark was beside him, and Mom knew damn well what they did to get this far. And what happened to get them to this point.