Chapter 6

"Artemis, where are we going?"

"Home"

"How do you know where home is?"

"Instincts. Let me take over."

I let Artemis take over. I could feel her sadness through our link. I wish mate would have given us a chance, but what can we do. 

"Artemis"

"Yeah"

"Are we going to be, okay? What will happen to us now that we found mate?"

Artemis took a deep breath. "I'm not sure. Normally the rejection from a mate would kill a wolf, and you know you can' live without me. Mate didn't formally reject us though, so I'm not sure."

"Well, it's been just you and me for a long time. I think we will be okay without mate too." I tried to be optimistic for the both of us. That got a little huff out of Artemis. 

"You and me until the end."

TIME SKIP

After 2 days of walking through the forest, we came upon a large clearing. Artemis sat down on the edge of the forest and looked around. Black ruins of what used to be houses around the rim of the clearing. 

"We are here."

"C-c-can we, can we look around?" I asked, seeing the ruins of the houses made me get choked up. Flashbacks of me running around with my friends. going on runs with my parents in their wolf forms, with me normally riding on my father's back. All the good memories coming back. Artemis got up and started walking toward the middle of the clearing which had two large black ruins of a building. One being the pack house, the other being what was once my home. Artemis let me take control back, but we stayed in our wolf form. I walked up to what used to be my home. I sat down about 100 feet away and just stared at the ruins. The happy memories starting to get replaced with memories of that night. I let out a long, mournful howl for my parents and my pack. 

"Lets go inside."

"Artemis, I don't think I can."

"Alex, yes you can. This was our home, home of the alpha. This was always meant to be your home. I know why you don't think you can go in there but think of what may be left. We may find something that belonged to mom and dad."

I took another deep breath and started to walk towards the house. 'God, I hate that she is always right' I thought. 

"Oh Alex, we both know that's a lie."

Walking into the house was devastating. Looking around, the chances of finding anything saved from what could have only been a fire, and the years of weather damage was small. I shifted back into my human form and started to go through anything that wasn't completely ruined, which wasn't much. I was able to find an old backpack in the living room closet. I took that incase I found anything else, it would be easier to carry, even in wolf form. Somehow the stairs were still intact. Not finding anything downstairs I ventured upstairs, going to my room first. To my surprise, most of the room was still intact. I went to my dresser first, not bothering to take any clothes knowing they wouldn't fit. I did find some pictures in one of the drawers though. Two pictures stood out to me the most.