15

"Checkmate."

"Wow, Riley. She's smarter than you." Chase taunted.

"That's eight times already. You're incredible." Riley gasped.

"How are you this good?" Tyler asked.

"I just am." Jodi smiled.

"As impressive as that was, we should probably get back to work." Shelby said.

"Oh, right. We have a job." Chase said. They all stood up and walked away. Tyler decided to take the seat across from Jodi.

"Wanna play?" Jodi asked.

Tyler shook his head. "No thanks. I know I'm just going to lose anyways. I can't even beat Riley."

"Say, why are you the only one not working?" Jodi asked.

"It's my day off." Tyler said.

"And you decided to spend the day here?" She asked.

"Well..."

"Jodi's stopping by. Just wanted to let you know." Chase said before ending the call.

Tyler stared at his phone in confusion. But he quickly got dress and fixed his hair before running out the door.

"I just decided to stop by and say hi to everyone." He said awkwardly. "But then I saw you and decided to stay a little longer."

"You're such a good friend to them. You all really care about each other, huh?"

Tyler nodded. "Of course. They're my best friends." Tyler smiled.

Jodi smiled to herself. "That's cute." She mumbled.

Just a simple smile was able to make his heart race. It made him go insane. But he loved how it made him feel. Unfortunately, it couldn't be said for the other way around.

"You really do have a cute smile." Tyler complimented.

Tyler watched as her cheeks slowly grew red, turning more into a strawberry every second he smiled at her. He so badly wanted to reach over and squeeze them. But he knew that would be crossing the line. After all, he wanted to get closer to her. And he didn't want to ruin the friendship that they already made.

"So do you." She mumbled, her cheeks still flushed. He noticed her rubbing her palm again. It had been a while since she had done that.

Tyler turned his attention to the kitchen for a split second. But in the split second, he could already see the chaos about to behold. Koda was holding a bucket full of dishes as he made his way to the kitchen. But at the same time, Chase was already leaving the kitchen holding a tray of food. The two bumped into each other, causing everything to fall and make a loud noise through out the room.

Jodi closed her eyes and reached up to cover her ears, but Tyler had beaten her to it. She slowly opened her eyes in confusion. She was immediately met with Tyler staring at her, with worry written all over his face. Her heartbeat slowly started to slow down.

Chase ran out of the kitchen to check on her, but he stopped when he saw Tyler. He couldn't help but to smile. "Sorry, everyone. My bad." He apologized. He turned around and made his way back to the kitchen to clean the mess.

Jodi's breathing started to slow down. Tyler slowly pulled his arms away. "Are you alright?" He asked worriedly.

Jodi slowly nodded her head. "Yeah, I'm fine. Thanks."

"Anytime." Tyler said.

For a split second, Jodi swore she could feel her heartbeat rising again. But she knew it wasn't because of the loud noise.