Chapter 8: Birdbrain

It was a nice and quiet Sunday night in the L/n house.

You and Lala were seen cooking in the kitchen. Lala was slicing down some vegetables, while you kept an eye on the stove.

Originally, you were going to cook by yourself, seeing as your cooking skills were superior to that of Lala's. 

Although she kept on insisting on helping, so you had no choice but to let her help in making dinner for tonight.

''Y/n, you never told me what you were cooking.'' Lala said as she began to slice a tomato. ''So, what is it?''

''Nothing too special, really. Just some spaghetti.'' You answered, taking off the lid of the pot to see how the food was turning out.

''Hm?'' Lala took a quick break from cutting to see inside the pot. ''Oh! I really like spaghetti!''

''Me too. How are the vegetables coming up?'' You put the lid back on the pot and looked back at Lala.

''I think I am cutting them a little uneven..'' Lala said.

''Oh, there's nothing wrong with that.'' You reassured her as you turned off the stove. ''Thanks for helping me, Lala.''

Lala blushed at small praise. It truly filled her with joy when you did give her attention. ''Oh, it was no problem. Now, let's eat dinner.''

''Erm, before we serve dinner, I wanted to ask you a question.'' You took the pot off of the stove.

''Ask away.''

''Okay, so, there's this one problem my new school is facing.'' You began to scoop the spaghetti from the pot into small plates. ''It's about some kind of ghost scaring off the students.''

''Ghost?'' Lala repeated.

''Yeah. The principle says that ghosts don't exist, and that people are just seeing things. So I wanted to ask you if they are real. Are ghosts real?''

Lala pondered for a moment, before coming up with an explanation. ''Well, yeah. Ghosts do exist. They are usually vengeful, but they aren't usually hostile towards the ones they don't have a grudge on.''

''Wait, really? I thought they were just some fairy tale.''

''So were Harpies, and Centaurs, and every other Liminal being.'' Lala added. ''Anyway, you probably already know this, but I am gonna say it anyway. Ghosts can manifest after their death wasn't natural, meaning they were killed.''

''... Continue...'' You served the plates and placed them on the dining table.

Lala took a seat. ''If they were killed unnaturally, it means that they have a grudge against the person who has caused that unnatural death to happen. In other words, Unfinished Business.'' Lala took her fork and began digging into the spaghetti.

The words ''Unfinished Business'' brought a shiver down your spine. ''So, is there anything else I need to know?''

''That's about it. They don't show themselves to innocents, nor do they act violently towards them. Also, ghosts aren't only a human thing. They can be Liminals as well.'' Lala finished up, taking a bite out of her spaghetti.

You now had the look of worry on your face. Judging from how many murderers around the world there are, that would mean there would be an equal amount of human ghosts. Even more.

And that wasn't even it. What about the other Monster races?

Gee, it's messed up when you think about it.

You sighed before taking a bite out of your spaghetti. You were pondering if you should go ahead and investigate the school for ghosts.

You were innocent. You haven't killed anything, other than that snail you accidently stepped on your way to school... And some more things.