Captive

SCOUT'S POINT OF VIEW

I've been kidnapped. Great. Just great. And apparently Marcus and Miles won't be coming for me. Lies. Devan is just telling me a bunch of lies. As soon as I'm able to get around without tiring out, I will be gone. I should probably find the exits so I know where to go.

I got up and tried the door and was surprised to find it unlocked. No one was in the hall and I heard voices down stairs, but couldn't tell where they were, so I stayed on this floor. I ended up finding a room that was lit up with the sun. I was drawn to the room for some reason, plus I was getting tired and needed to sit down. I sat in the window seat. I didn't plan on falling asleep, but that's what ended up happening.

I was woken up later by Devan. I immediately jumped to my feet when I saw him, but the quick action caused me to almost fall. Devan caught me, but I pushed him away from me and ended up on the floor, that took my breath away and caused my chest to burn. I blame all of this on Devan.

"I thought you had tried to run away again," He said as I stood up.

"I did try," I told him.

"You made excellent progress. A whole six rooms down."

I glared at him.

"Do you want something to eat? You missed supper, but if you want to heat something up, you can."

"I'm not hungry."

"So are you just going to starve yourself?"

"Yes."

"That won't be the first time."

"What?"

He sighed. "Have you remembered anything?"

"No."

"Are you telling the truth? Or are you just not going to tell me what you remembered?"

I didn't answer.

"I won't ask what you remembered. I just want to know if you got anything."

"Nothing."

Then a dog came running in and bounded up to me. He licked my hand and lay his head on my leg.

"Who's this?" I asked.

"Leon."

"Hm." That name sounded familiar.

"He'll protect you."

"What do you mean?"

"If I were to try to hurt you, he'd attack me."

"Why?"

"He was trained to do that."

"To protect girls?"

"To protect you."

"Me?"

Devan nodded.

"Why was he trained to protect your enemy?"

"You weren't my enemy at the time." He sounded sad.

"What do you mean 'at the time'?"

"Once you remember you'll understand. But you wouldn't believe anything that I told you about what happened, so why bother?"

"How long until I'm better?" I asked.

"The doctor said that your memory should begin to come back in a couple weeks, your energy a week later, and the actual injury will take about five to six weeks."

"That's such a long time."

"You sound disappointed."

"Duh! Do you think I want to be here?"