Gang Talk

As my energy returned, I became more hungry, so I didn't have to worry about Devan bothering me about that. I avoided Owen at all costs because I still didn't like that he took his family when he wasn't supposed to. I mostly stuck close to Nate, Melly, and Devan. Devan because he was always asking about how I was and my memory, Melly because she was a girl and we needed girl time, and Nate because he was a really fun guy. And when I was running around like normal, Devan asked me if I still wanted to go to the range.

"If I take you, you better swear not to shoot at anything besides the targets," He said.

"I guess," I said.

He gave me a look.

"Fine! I won't shoot any people."

I couldn't help but feel excited about finally being able to leave the house. Plus, my hands were itching to hold a gun or knife again. Kyle and Nate came along with me and Devan to the range. I was really hoping to go out on the field, but it was raining outside, so that wasn't an option.

I had a lot of fun proving to them that a girl can shoot as good as a boy, showing that the male wasn't the better species. I had noticed that they had an old bow and arrow there, and asked about it. But as Devan was explaining why he had it, I suddenly got a head rush.

"Whoa," I said.

"What?" Devan asked.

"I just had major déjà vu." I shook my head. "That's so weird."

I could tell that Devan was holding himself back from saying something, but I didn't mention it. He probably was going to ask about my memory and I really didn't want to ruin this day with that.

On the way back, we were passed by a speeding car that was headed to the house. Devan sped up as well to find out what the car was doing. When we got there, Will was helping to carry someone who was bleeding very badly into the house.

"What happened?" Devan asked.

"We were jumped on the street," Someone answered. "Luko's men."

"Did they say anything to you?"

"They mentioned Michael. Otherwise we didn't hear anything else because they were trying to kill us."

Devan rolled his eyes. "No one holds a grudge like Luko. Was anyone else hurt?"

"No, it was just me and Dan. He got the worst of it."

Devan nodded and then went up to his office. I followed him up and sat in one of the chairs.

"Were you talking about Dave Luko?" I asked.

Devan stopped what he was doing to look up at me. "Yes," He answered.

"And Michael's his...son, right?"

"His nephew."

"Oh yeah."

"You know them?"

"Mhm."

"From doing work with them?"

"Yeah. Since we didn't have you anymore, we needed someone else to work with in the UK."

"Good for you." He continued searching through the drawers of the desk.

"We were also thinking of someone in Ireland. I don't know their name, though."

"Jackson?"

"That would be them."

"We work with Jackson."

"Awesome. But they weren't very stable with keeping up with loans and all that stuff so they were a no."

"We've been working with them on that."

"But Luko was in London, and worked similarly to us and there was Michael so we decided to see about them. We're still working on it."

"What's with Michael?"

"Marcus and Dave were thinking on a uniting-the-gangs sorta thing with me and him. I've yet to meet him and I don't think I was even mentioned to him yet."

"Michael's dead."

"What?"

"He was killed in Australia."

"What was he doing in Australia?"

"He was watching over someone and was killed while protecting them."

"You sound disappointed."

"I kinda am. It wasn't until later that we were told that he was going to shut down the gang when he took over. It would have been nice to have one less enemy."

"Then I definitely would have wanted to get to know him."

"Really?"

"Yeah. I don't mind working in this business, but I could think of better things to do."

He nodded and pulled out a file and tossed it on the desk before searching for another.

I went over to take a look at the file.

"This is an old one," I said as I read the date.

"Mhm. I need to look deep for what I'm searching for."

"It's with Meselva."

"Mhm."

"What are you looking for?" I became suspicious.

"Old loans and debts."

"Trust me, we took care of anything to do with you ASAP."

"Not of what I've been told." He took the file from me before I could look through it.

"And what have you been told?"

"That there is a debt that has yet to be paid back."

"I doubt that there's anything. And why don't you have this on your computer or something? Are you old fashioned?"

"I don't have the time to switch it all over."

"Then get someone to do it for you."

"No one else has time."

"What about Melly?"

"I'd like to keep her out of my work as much as possible."

"How considerate of you."

"Okay, you can leave now."

I got up to leave, but then stopped and asked, "What's through that door?" I pointed to the one on the side of the room.

"That leads to the dungeons."

"Do I have to beware of the dragon?"

He chuckled. "It's the library."

"Can I check it out?"

"Sure."

I let myself into the library. I was surprised at how nicely kept it was. I was expecting it to be in a bad condition because I didn't think that anyone used it. Instead of looking at the books and reading them, I sat down and thought of how I was going to escape.