Car Chase

"Are you alright?" Someone asked from down the street.

I turned around quickly to see who was talking. "Did you kill them?" I asked.

"No." He walked up. "They're just unconscious." He bent down and plucked two darts from the boys. "We better get moving though, they won't be out for long and Devan will be here soon."

"Wait, who are you?" I asked, not going with him.

"I'm Thomas, your uncle."

"What?"

"We can get into details in a minute. For now, let's go somewhere else."

I followed him until we got to a small house where we went inside.

"I'm Marcus' brother," He told me as we sat at the kitchen table. "You never got to see much of me because I was always over here and the last time you saw me was when you were eight. What are you doing here and with those boys?"

"They kidnapped me," I told him, recognizing the same eyes that my father had. "And I had gotten away, but they found me."

He nodded, flipping through papers and sorting them into two piles and one of them fell towards me. I picked it up and didn't mean to, but something on it caught my eye. '-therapy results'.

"What's this?" I asked, reading it to find out for myself.

They were results of a chemotherapy test.

He sighed. "I've had cancer for a while now. I used to smoke, I haven't in a few years, but that doesn't stop the cancer."

"Where is it?"

"My lungs."

"Both?"

He nodded.

"How bad is it?"

"They don't expect me to pass 55 years."

"How old are you now?"

"54."

"Oh." This hit me hard. I had just met him, and already found out that he was going to die. "Can't they get rid of it?"

"They've tried and they know that they can, but I can't pay for it."

"Well, can't you talk to Marcus about him helping you?"

"I haven't heard from Marcus in a while. Have you talked to him recently?"

"No. I've been in a coma since last June and woke up only a couple months ago."

"Hm. I wonder what's got him so quiet."

"He's probably trying to figure out where I am."

"Well let's call him now and see if he answers."

Thomas called Marcus' cell phone, but was met by the voicemail.

"So do you still go by Karita?" Thomas asked me.

"No, I go by Scout," I told him.

He nodded. "It fits you."

"I hate to be asking favors, especially since I barely know you and just met you, but do you think you could help me get back to Chicago?"

"Yeah, of course. It's not a problem. Then you can talk to your father about why he hasn't been returning my calls."

"How soon can I leave?"

"I can get you on a flight tonight, maybe."

"Maybe?"