Losing Friends

"Can I use your phone?" I asked Devan.

"Why?" He asked.

"Because I need to search for a new home."

"Why?"

"Trenton knows where I live, thanks to you, and he still wants me dead so he will be coming back for me so I need somewhere else to live where I will be actually alive."

"I'm not going to let you use my phone."

"Fine, be an ass."

"When are you going to stop that?"

"Stop what?" I was really regretting letting him sit next to me.

"This act."

"What act?"

"The act that you hate me as much as you hate Marcus."

"Fine. Then I will let you know that I hate you more than Marcus."

"You do remember that you're saying that to someone who had saved your life."

"Yes, and I do remember that you are also the one who cause me to jump back into the river and you are the one who tried to kill me in the first place that got us into this mess."

"Are you ever going to drop that?"

"No! That's like asking someone if they are ever going to forgive someone for molesting them and scarring them for life."

"I'm sorry about the scar."

"Don't be. It's like a badge saying 'you can't take me'."

"You actually have a positive look on something? Wow."

I wacked him in the stomach. "Shut up."

"Hey, Scout," Nate said from the other side of Devan.

"What?"

"Was Marcus racist at all? Because I was thinking and I noticed that I have never seen anyone that wasn't white in the gang."

I burst out laughing. "You would be stupid if you didn't think otherwise. He made sure that no one was allowed in the gang unless they were basically albino."

"What about your mum?"

"What about her?" I snapped, not liking that she was being brought up.

"Well, you seem to have a darker skin tone than the average white person, even during the winter, so I was wondering if she had something else in her bloodlines."

"She had something else, yes. I don't know exactly what 'cause I never was old enough to wonder about it."

"That just shows what love can do," Devan muttered.

"That also shows that the only reason that Marcus kept me was because I was her daughter. Otherwise he would have kicked me out."

"The more I learn about Marcus, the more I hate him."

"You're lucky you're not related."

"He wants to be," Nate said, quietly as though he didn't mean for either me or Devan to hear it, but we both did.

Devan elbowed Nate and I glared at him. I don't know for sure what he was meaning, but I didn't like it either way.

"This is going to be a long plane ride," I mumbled.

"I know and the food sucks," Nate agreed.

"By the way, give me my stuff back."

"Are there cameras on planes?"