Smart Planning

The next day the boys had all the recruits stand in line in front of them and they told them who was staying and who was not.

They weren't taking three of them who they didn't like or weren't any good (Kevin included) and another four of them were too young, but were told to come back when they were old enough.

"So was I recruited?" I asked as Devan and I sat in the window seat of the sun room.

"You passed all the requirements, so I would have accepted you, except that you're a girl and too young," He told me.

"What is wrong with having girls work for you people?" I just about shouted. "Girls can do anything a guy can. God, Marcus is the same way. No girls. Girls are weak." I imitated his voice.

"He let you in."

"That's only because I'm-" I just barely caught myself. "Very privileged and I had to do a lot to prove myself."

"What were you going to say?" Devan caught my stumble in words.

"Nothing, I just couldn't think of the word to use."

"Really?"

"Yes. Are you doubting me again?"

"I think that I have reason to doubt you."

"What reason?"

"You tend to run off and you threaten to kill me and you stabbed a possible member of my gang."

"He was asking for it and you ended up siding with me anyways."

"Yeah, okay."

"Hey, Devan," I breathed onto the window and draw a flower where it fogged up.

"Yeah?"

"How come I can't get a good night of sleep unless I sleep with you? Do you drug me?"

He laughed a little. "No, I don't drug you, and I don't know why it is like that."

The next day, we went to the range again, but this time we were in the field. There were many targets set up all over the place, on the ground, in trees, and even floating ones that were sent up by balloon just before we headed out. Devan and I acted as a team as we wandered out into the large area.

"Scout, ten o'clock," Devan told me.

"And there's one just above," I told him.

We both shot down the targets, carefully making our way through the open field and into the trees. We both quickly dropped to our stomachs as a few darts came flying at us. The targets all shot out these tiny darts to hit us. The darts didn't harm you past a slight sting when they hit you, though they can cut you pretty bad if they skim you barely. Before we could get back to our feet, more darts whizzed above us.

"Crawl that way, and I'll go this way," Devan instructed.

We parted to go to either side of the targets and shot them down quickly and then got up and continued on. Once we got into the trees, we began running through to make it more difficult. We raced back and forth to hit all of the targets and I got stung quite a few times before I met Devan on the other side of the field in the safety zone where we completed the challenge.

"Can you help me?" Devan asked as we headed back. "I can't reach these ones on my back."

I walked behind him to remove the darts that were stuck in his back. As we were putting our weapons away, Devan told me that that was the fastest he's ever gotten that done.