Alone

I walked back into where the others were standing and asked, "Do you guys need any of the stuff that I got? I don't want to have to drag it all with me."

"You could just leave it here for the next person," Cody said quietly.

"Good idea."

"So, Scout," Devan said. "Care to explain?"

"Explain what?" I asked, though I knew exactly what.

"Why you have to leave," Shane said.

"I might explain when Devan leaves."

"I'm not leaving until you tell them," Devan said.

"Fine! For God sakes! I have people who want to kill me, so that's why I can't stay!"

"So, you work with Nate?" Shane asked.

Cody was in complete shock. "Why do people want to kill you?"

"No, I don't work with Nate, and they want to kill me because I killed one of them, supposedly."

"You did, I watched you," Devan said.

"Shut up before I kill you too!"

Cody was really getting freaked out. "You've killed someone before?"

"Yes, Cody, I'm sorry I'm not the person you thought I was. But I promise you that I would never hurt you."

He just nodded, muttered something, and then left.

"For crying out loud!" I shouted once Cody left. "This is exactly why I didn't want to tell anyone!"

"If it makes you feel better, I'm not that freaked out," Shane said. "Just surprised."

"I don't know if that makes me feel better or not. No offense."

"None taken. But do you work in the same business as Nate?"

"I used to and am trying to get out of it, but this idiot here won't let me." I sent Devan a glare.

"Why not?" Shane asked Devan.

"Scout will flip if I try explaining," Devan said.

"Scout should keep her mouth shut because I want to hear this."

Both Devan and Shane looked at me as I glared back at them, rolled my eyes and said, "Whatever."

They sat down as Devan told his story.

"Last year in June, one of my men, Owen, had mistaken Scout for someone else and brought her to us. Just before Owen got her, she had gotten amnesia and didn't remember anything before then. It took about five months for her to remember everything again, but then she was injured badly and was put in a drug-induced coma that caused her to forget everything again so she didn't remember any of those five months that were spent with us."

"Whether that's true or not, you left out some parts," I said. "Like how you tried to kill me and that's why I was put into the coma."

"Why did he try to kill you?" Shane asked.

"I don't even know."

"Because you had hurt me severely and I didn't want an enemy in Chicago anymore and I wanted revenge," Devan explained.

"How did I hurt you?"

"You...broke up with me."

"Are you kidding me? You tried to kill me after I 'broke up' with you?"

He nodded.

"Why did I even go out with you?"

"Because you were a different person then."