Sick Out of Love

NATE'S POINT OF VIEW

"She's asking for it," I said to Devan as we all were arguing in the office.

Devan still said nothing. He hasn't said a word to anyone since we got back.

"I gotta side with Nate here," Owen agreed. "All she's done is hurt you in whatever way she could and now look what happened."

It seemed as though Devan didn't know we were here. He didn't respond to anything that was said.

"We tried to warn you, mate," Kyle said. "We tried to tell you that this isn't the same person. She was the person whose mind was drilled into believing that you were the enemy. It wasn't entirely her fault."

Devan slumped back in his chair, his eyes reading nothing but sadness as he stared at the library door.

"Dev," Will spoke up. "I don't want to, but if I have to, I will make you take anti-depressants."

"Please do," Devan surprised us all by speaking. "Give me something that will make everything go numb. Can you do anything that will make me forget?"

His eyes were still unfocused and he wasn't entirely here.

"I have to find her."

"Dev, she's like a drug to you," I said leaning onto the desk right in his line of vision so it at least looked like he was looking at me. "A drug that you are addicted to, but will kill you."

He shook his head. "She won't kill me."

"She will. Don't forget who she is, a killer, just like you. She grew up in it, so she is even worse than you. She was learning how to kill as she was learning how to walk. She's like me where she can keep calm and keep her cool, but as soon as something goes off, she breaks and goes crazy. She's held onto her sanity for so long already, next time she sees you will probably set her off."

"I don't care. As long as I get to see her."

"It would be the last thing you see."

"It would be worth it." He looked down at his hands. "I don't even have anything to remember her by. Just memories that she doesn't have." His voice almost cracked.

"When was the last time you slept?" Will asked Devan.

He shrugged. "The night before we got to her apartment."

That was almost a week ago.

Will sighed. "Come on, I'll get you something to help you sleep."

"I don't want to sleep, not without being able to hold her."

"Devan," Melly spoke up with a shaky voice for the first time since we began this discussion an hour ago. "We aren't telling you to get over her. N-not at all. We just don't want to see you hurting like this."

He laughed. "Get over it."

She started crying. "Fine then! Why don't you run away and disappear for a while! You can come back when you find my brother!"

She ran out of the room and Kyle went after her to comfort her.

"You don't see it, do you?" I asked Devan.

He did nothing.

"Not only have you lost Scout, but you are also losing your sister very quickly."

"Maybe I should send her away too."

"Don't you dare start thinking that."

"She's not 18 yet, so she can still be adopted."

"If you do that, I will be the one adopting her."