Heading Out

***PLEASE READ

I had a very busy summer, so I apologize for such a long break. I do intend to finish uploading the entire series!  Since this is only story two of four, that's going to be a while from now by the time we actually get there, but I am more excited about getting to the last two stories than I am about this one, so I'm going to upload a bunch of chapters at once to get to the end. (If/when I get around to serious editing on this I might remove most/all of this story and condense to three instead of four)

I have also been busy with writing a different story! If any of you are interested, it's on Archive of Our Own, and it's a Marvel fan fiction called Infinity and my username is TheLastoftheLoveSongs

Thank you to those of you who have stuck around! Your support is greatly appreciated!***

As we walked out of the building, about four cars went speeding past and towards our destination.

"Guess who found out that we were gone?" I said.

"Can't we just get a ride to the airport?" Devan asked.

"No, because I don't like sitting in traffic in a car that who-knows-how-many people have been in and smells like the ghetto."

Nate snorted with laughter. "The longer we're here, the more you sound like you're from the ghetto."

"Boy, you haven't heard ghetto talk 'til you've talked to Dennis."

"I don't think I will ever get the chance with the fact that three people just suddenly started walking our way," Devan said.

"Speaking of Dennis," I said. "Run."

We took off across the street, dodging through traffic and having to jump across cars at times.

"Why do we suddenly need to run from this specific guy?" Nate asked.

"Because I have seen him knock people out by just pushing them to the ground," I answered. "He's, like, super strong and I would rather not be the one he catches."

We ran down into the subway and melted into the mass of people getting on and off the train.

"What now?" Devan asked as we stopped to catch our breath, leaning against a wall.

I shook my head. "I don't know." My ankle was still hurting and after running through the streets, trying to dodge around people without falling, and I think I might have popped something back out of place.

"Are you alright?" Devan asked me.

"I'm fine for now. Let's keep moving."

We made our way to the other exit of the subway and went up to the streets again. I didn't see anyone right away, so we continued walking. The airport was only five more blocks away and my ankle was bothering me more and more. Something was definitely out of place again.

We got to the airport fine, but we couldn't get in. Trenton had headed straight there and was waiting for us.

"Are there any other airports?" Nate asked.

I shook my head. "None that Trenton hadn't sent people to unless we go to a different city."

"Would he have sent people out of the city as well?"

"Yeah, probably. He knows me and knows that I would do that."

"What about a train?"

"I hate trains. I almost got hit by one once and I never want to go near one again. I hated being in the subway enough, I don't need to get any closer to and actual train than that. Trenton knows that and knows that I wouldn't be there."