Back to Work

In the morning, I called Matt and Jeffery to the office. They were head of our negotiations in other countries, along with Miles, so I told them to find someone else to take Miles' place and then go talk to Luko about working with us.

The strangest thing about me taking over the gang was that almost everyone seemed happy about it. I found that a bit strange, so I stopped Jim in the hallway to ask him about it.

"Why are you guys so happy about me taking over?" I asked him. "I thought you didn't want me to."

"We're happy about it because we actually have a leader," Jim said. "Trenton was horrible. He may be the top person, but he cannot lead a gang. He had no idea what he was doing. You do. You are very good at it, better than Marcus I would say. Even though you've only been at it for a few days, things are already running very smoothly."

"Oh, okay." I nodded and continued on my way.

I stopped Matt and Jeffery just before they left to see who they had chosen for Miles' replacement, satisfied with their choice of Benji. I quickly got everything back in motion and the gang was back to full force and running smoothly.

The next day, I was able to participate in a firefight for the first time in forever. One of the smaller gangs in Chicago decided to make a move to try to weaken us so they could take over and we had to go show them who they were messing with.

Me and just fifteen others went to meet the forty of them out on the street. We hid while they slowly made their way towards us. Then, once they were close enough, someone of ours shot down one of the gang from inside building and they all scattered. While they were searching for where we were, Billy tossed a grenade at them. But one of them saw it before it went off and kicked it back towards us. Now it was our turn to scatter and avoid the bomb just in time before it exploded and we engaged the other gang.

I carefully moved closer to them to get a good shot, narrowly avoiding their bullets as they did what they could to keep us back. As soon as I was close enough, I took aim and shot down as many people as I could. The battle didn't last very long, and we left a couple of them just injured so they could go back to their leader to tell them how much of a mistake it was to mess with us.

Once they were gone, we all headed back with only a few severe injuries and no losses. I cleaned myself us, but was still buzzing with the rush of excitement that the battle had caused and now wanted to do something more. I sat down at my computer and looked to see who owed what and when it was due. I found a couple of my men who were ready to do something and sent them out to find the people who needed a reminder and set myself to find the person who owed us the money yesterday, though hadn't turned it in.

They lived on the edge of Chicago, on the opposite side of the city, so I had an annoying drive to look forward to. Traffic, like always, was bad so it took twice as long as it was supposed to to get to...Kurvy? What kind of name is that? But it took me twice as long as it should to get to his house. When I got to the small home, I knocked on the front door and was met by a man in his forties.

"Are you Kurvy Linkins?" I asked him.

"Uh, yeah. Who are you?" He asked.

"Who is it?" A lady, I'm assuming his wife, called.

"I'm here to collect what you owe," I told him.

"Oh, yeah. Um, come in. Let me just go get it."

I stepped inside and waited in the foyer. Shortly after Kurvy walked off, a little boy, about six years old, approached me.

"Who are you?" He asked. "What are you doing here?"

"I am here to get a special package from your daddy," I answered.