What's Next?

***So, this chapter was accidentally skipped because something got messed up in my marking of the chapters. I apologize for the mistake, but here it is***

WHAT'S NEXT?

"Hey, mate, where'd you go?" Nate asked as I walked back into the house. "And where's Scout? I thought you took her with you."

"She's gone," I told him.

"Gone?"

The four of them all looked at me in confusion.

"What do you mean by 'gone'?" Owen asked.

"As in I let her go to where ever she wanted. I am not going to force her to stay here anymore. It hurt her to be trapped here," I answered.

"Did it hurt her or you more?" Kyle asked.

"Her." Lie.

"So where did she go?" Will asked.

"I don't know. I dropped her off in the city. She's probably going back to the US."

"What?"

"You're just going to let her go?" Nate asked.

"Well, yeah. What else was I supposed to do?" I asked.

"What is she going to do now?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, most likely she's going to go back to Chicago and the gang, even if they told her no before. And then what will she do? She'll have nowhere to go. She doesn't have anywhere to go, Devan."

This was shocking news.

"The only family she had left was her uncle, who died the same day she met him."

"He died?" This was also news.

"Yeah. He told us how he had cancer and wouldn't live past 55. He died that night. He didn't tell her that though. Scout has nowhere to go. She could go anywhere to start a new life, but that won't work very well because she would want to stay somewhere that she knows. Chicago. But since they think that she committed treason, they will probably kill her when they see her. Devan, she's not going to do well, and you won't either."

"I won't?"

"We all know that you are deeply in love with her, and that the real reason that you sent her away was because you couldn't bear having her around without her having the same feelings towards you."

"No, that's not true."

"Don't deny it!" Nate suddenly was shouting and that surprised all of us. "But you shouldn't have done that because she did have feelings for you."

"No she didn't."

"Yes, she did. Even after you were mad at her and she was mad at you, she still let you get close to her and cuddle with her. I can't believe that you didn't see that. I can't believe that you didn't know where to find her when she ran off to Chicago either!"

"Why are you surprised at that?"

"Because you should have known that she liked the river. She talked about it, about how she liked to swim, about how she was able to swim across the river in the woods behind the house with no problem. About how she 'got married' by the river. She chose the place because she would not let Marcus decide everything, and because she likes the river. She likes the water. How did you not get that?"