The Truth?

SCOUT'S POINT OF VIEW

I saw many people who I knew, but none of them seemed to recognize me. Maybe it was because of my hair. I have no idea when I dyed it red. But I got myself to the subway where the gang was. No one said a thing to as I entered. Whenever I would ask a question, no one would answer.

"Trenton!" I called him when I spotted him.

He hesitated before coming by me.

"What are you doing here?" He asked.

"What else would I be doing here? I escaped. Where's Marcus?"

He gave me a weird look.

"What?"

"Have you forgotten what happened?"

"Uh, yeah, I guess so. I lost my memory."

"Scout, Marcus is dead, and so is Miles."

"What?!" I took a step back.

"I wasn't there, but Devan had come and killed Marcus, and Owen was there as well and took his family back and... someone said that you killed Miles."

"What?" I fell back against the wall.

"That's why people aren't talking to you. We all think that you committed treason."

"You think so too." It wasn't a question.

"There are five of our men who said that you did it. No one claims that you didn't."

"But... I didn't. I wouldn't. You know I wouldn't. We were friends and the most we did was threaten to kill each other. He... he must've accidentally gotten in the way of something, right?"

"You were supposed to be getting married to him, and people say that you stabbed him in the chest."

"Whoa, whoa, wait, what? Getting married to him? I would never do that either. I never liked him like that."

"Marcus arranged it."

I slid to the floor, feeling like I was out of breath. "How did any of this happen?"

"You should probably get out of here before they kick you out."

"They can't kick me out of my own home. Actually," I jumped to my feet. "This is my gang now. I inherited it from Marcus. Who is running it right now?"

"I am."

"Well now I am."

"Scout, no one is going to listen to you."

"Yes they will. It is rightfully mine and neither you nor any of them can take it away from me."

"Scout, you should leave."

"Or what?"

"Or I will have you escorted out."

"You betrayed me, Trenton. I thought you of all people would understand."

"Scout, leave." He was no longer asking.

So I left. I went out into the streets of Chicago, wandering around until I got to the river.

I kicked my shoes off and sat down with my feet in the water, not caring how numbing cold the water was, hoping that the numbness would spread to my whole body.

My father was dead.

Devan killed him.

Miles was dead.