Water Hazard

SCOUT'S POINT OF VIEW

I was so close to having saved enough money to get a ticket to Florida and a little extra to go on afterwards. So close. I needed about two more weeks of working, maybe three depending on how things turned out, and then I could go on my way. So close.

Now that I didn't have Leon to have to care for and had been working there long enough, I have been working more hours to get more pay and was excited as I tallied up what I made and saw how close I was to reaching my goal amount that would get me out of here.

I had it all planned out perfectly. I had even written the note that Nate made me promise to make. It was in an envelope and sitting on the small table I had next to the front door. I even had bags ready to quickly pack and go. Everything was in place. I was ready to be free.

But of course that couldn't happen how I wanted it.

I had the morning off of work so I didn't need to go until about 5:00. On my way over is when everything I had planned was changed. There were a couple cars parked on the bridge, which I didn't find strange until they suddenly drove out and cut off two cars, blocking their path. Soon people were jumping out with guns and pointing them at the two cars and shouting at the people inside to get out.

All the other people who had been on the bridge ran away at the sight of the weapons and all other cars cleared the bridge as well, but I stayed out of curiosity, so it was my own fault that I got into such a mess. I hid behind a car to watch and see Devan and his four friends exit the two vehicles.

I was late to duck and hide as Devan looked around at who was holding them at gunpoint, and he saw me. I didn't see his reaction to seeing me because I had sat down on the road, hoping that he didn't recognize me.

"Devan Rake. Fancy catching you here," The man in charge said.

"Luko," Devan muttered. "What do you want?"

"Revenge."

"For what?"

"For Michael."

Something in my mind ticked at the mention of that name.

"And how do you plan on getting that revenge?" Devan asked.

"One of you five are going into the river," Luko answered.

That was not good for them. It was very windy and rain was threatening to downpour at any moment so the river was rushing madly. You would have to be a very good swimmer to be able to handle that. There was a very high chance that whoever went in was going to drown.

"Someone's going over," Luko said. "And I'm thinking you." He pointed to Owen.

Owen already looked like he was freaking out, and now he started to panic.

"No!" Devan shouted. "Not him."

"And why not?"

"He can't swim."

"Well then you will just have to go in after him and save him. If he survives the fall."

"None of us are strong enough swimmers."

He shrugged. "Such a shame." He then turned to the men holding Owen and nodded to them.

They pushed him to the edge of the bridge, pausing for a moment before pushing him over.

That's when my instincts kicked in and I ran forward. Devan saw me and tried to stop me, but I pushed past him and dove after Owen, thinking, if they won't even attempt to help their friend, then I will. I didn't really understand why I wanted to, but it was too late to back out now.