Consolation

***I accidentally skipped a chapter! Ahh! I have put it in where it is supposed to be, which is between Leaving and Hiding, and it's called What's Next. The way I mark the chapters and which ones have yet to be published got a bit messed up, but I have corrected it now, and that chapter is up, so you can go back to read it if you want to, though it is pretty much all Devon being sad and regretting letting Scout go. Anyway, here's the next one***

DEVAN'S POINT OF VIEW

I rubbed my eyes as I sat up. How did I get on the couch? How did I get home? The last thing I remember is telling the lads that I was going to stay at the bar for a little while yet and after they left, I ordered many drinks. I couldn't have driven myself home. Not safely at least.

"Look who's finally up," Nate said as he walked into the living room.

"What time is it?" I asked.

"About one in the afternoon."

"How did I get back?"

"One of the girls who works at the bar called me from your phone and I came to get you."

"Is my car back?"

"Yeah. I got someone to bring it back."

Leon came running into the room now, jumping up on the couch on me and licking my face.

"Hey boy." I scratched his ears. "When did you get back?"

"The girl who helped you had found him and sent him back when I came to get you," Nate answered.

"Oh." I stretched a bit. "I swear I saw Scout last night."

"Oh, you did?"

"It was probably just a dream. She looked a bit different, but I knew it was her."

"Hm, I guess she won't be leaving your head any time soon." Nate laughed a little. "Oh, and Reeves wants to have the meeting next month."

"Next month? Why so far from now?"

"Probably so he can build more evidence as to why he should have the territory or something like that."

I groaned in annoyance. "Well, at least we have one thing fixed." I pet Leon and then pushed him off of me so I could stand up. "I'm sure Melly was happy."

"She was overjoyed that Leon was back and perfectly healthy."

"Are you alright?" I noticed that Nate was pretty much mumbling through everything he said.

"Yeah, just tired. I think I had a bit too much to drink last night as well. I woke up with a major headache this morning."

I nodded in understanding. "I'm gonna call Reeves back and see about getting this meeting in sooner."

Of course Drew wasn't going to comply, but I needed an excuse to shout and cuss out someone. After slamming down the phone, I went to the library and sat in front of the fireplace. I just sat and stared for a while.

"Hey, Devan?" Owen came in. "Luko made a move towards us."

"What did he do?" I asked tiredly.

"He killed a few of our men, Matthew, Mark, and Kenny, and sent a message saying that he is going to get you back."

"Get me back for what?"

"The only thing that I could come up with was Michael."

"Anything else?"

He knew I was referring to Scout.

"Nothing," He answered. "I didn't see anything in any airports under her name or her uncle's name and no one saw anyone that looked like her in any of the security cameras."

"So maybe she didn't leave."

"You know how she was. She wouldn't want to be anywhere near here. I was going to check ships next, thinking that she might have taken a boat out of here."

"Yeah, that seems like a good place to look. Like Nate said, she likes water."

Owen nodded and left. Melly came in a short while later, searching for a book, and I thought that she was going to say something to me, but she was silent. I had never thought until now that maybe she was also missing Scout. They had been fairly close with being the only girls.

"Hey, Melly?" I called her before she walked out.

"Yeah?" She asked.

"Do you wanna go out and get a couple movies or something? Just something to keep busy with?"

"Uh, no thanks. I'm fine, really. I've got plenty of books, which, in my opinion, are much more exciting than movies."

"Oh, okay."

I don't know what to do. I just feel empty without Scout. She made me feel like I was worth something. At least I got to have one last night to hold her before she left.

I now went back into the office and found the files for Matt, Mark, and Kenny and marked down that they had died, the date, who killed them, and made a note to ask how they had been killed. I really need to get all this onto my computer. Having it all on paper was taking up too much room and was just a mess.

I opened the computer and then hit a dead end. I had no idea how I would do this. I never did anything like this when I was in school and neither mum nor dad had taught me this and I wasn't about to admit this to any of the lads and I was even too embarrassed to admit it to Melly. So I guess I won't be switching the files to the computer. Great. I now need something else to keep me occupied.

After days of trying to keep myself busy and keeping our enemies in check, I had managed to push thoughts of Scout to the back of my mind. But I still asked Owen about it every so often and every time it was the same. Nothing. I kept wanting to tell myself that she was still in London, but I knew she wasn't. There was no way that she would stay so close to me. She still hates me no matter what. She just must've been smart enough to be able to cover up anything that Owen could pick up on.

And I hate that.

All I want to know is that she is alright and doing well and not hurt, sick, or stuck somewhere in bad conditions.

But all she wants is to get away.

We were born enemies and she plans to live up to that.

Wait a minute.

She is going to come back.

She will.

She will come back to try to kill me.

That's all she's been threatening to do so why would she not do it? If she doesn't, then she would think that I think that she was just a joke about the whole thing. I know Scout. She would not let that happen. She'll be back.

Scout will be back.

That was all the consoling that I needed.

I smiled to myself and then went to gather Nate, Owen, Kyle, and Will to go to Drew Reeves' meeting.