𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈 - 𝐍𝐨𝐯𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐞

The repeated buzz of our alarm clock brings light to our view, notifying us that it's time. The dreaded time, the time to let go.

I spare Adriano a glance, and the sight sends a thug to my heart. Dark circles line his eyes, his eyelids are saggy, his skin is pale, and a wave of guilt brushes me as I feel I've drained the color from his face.

"Morning, Tesoro," words escape his mouth and his voice was emotion-choked.

"Don't tell me you didn't get shuteye last night, Adriano," I want to yell at him. I want him to take better care of himself, but who am I to at this point?

"How could I manage to blink when burdened by the nearing of your eventual departure?" He asked as he took small steps towards me.

I didn't know how to answer his question nor did I have enough time to think before he asked another one.

"Why do you want to leave me, Tesoro?" His fingers drew small lines around my skin and sent tingles flying through me.

"I don't want you to go," he admitted.

'Please Adriano, don't make this harder for me' The voice inside my head begged.

"I have to go, I'm sorry," I pulled myself away from him, closer to the bathroom door.

'If only I could get away from him, I could still do this' I thought again.

"Why do you have to?" he almost yelled and the underlying hurt in his voice nearly pulled me back but before I could think of it for a second more, I stepped into the bathroom and clicked the lock behind me in a panicked haze.

After getting ready, we went down to one of the sitting rooms that doubles as a meeting room as we awaited the arrival of my father.

We sat opposite each other and our silence thickened the air. Adriano didn't take his eyes off me once as if scared if he did, I would slip away.

His constant gaze on me nearly cut off my breathing but it wasn't long until my father's all-powerful presence burst through the doors.

"Princesa!" My father exclaimed with arms wide open.

"Papa," I voided the gap and returned to my place in his arms.

Adriano could be least concerned as he remained seated and gave my father a fake smile. "Hello, Antonio," he said.

"Adriano? Mm you don't look very good, I see," the unusual tone returned.

"Not like you look your best either, wife kick you out?" The tension lengthened.

"How about you take a seat with me, Papa?" I led my father who was currently gritting his teeth in annoyance as I try to ease the tension.

"Put my wife's name in your mouth once more and I will cut off your tongue and take away your speaking privileges," my father's tone abruptly rose from low to yelling.

"Very sensitive, huh?" Adriano is calm despite my father's crazy shouting.

"Don't you fucking speak to me like I'm a kid," My father yells further, and at this point, his voice is no different from my uncle's.

His shouting bruises my ear, reminding me of the loud nights in my uncle's custody. The screaming and resistance from the room beside mine when he's trying to have another girl.

I can hear him screaming at her to shut up before hitting her and a thud resounds from her hard landing. I remember closing my eyes and shielding my mouth so he doesn't hear my whimpering and crying and mount his anger on me instead.