𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈 - 𝐀𝐝𝐫𝐢𝐚𝐧𝐨

In the past month, I've sent multiple distractions to protect my wife from that predator's clutches. I've put up man after man of his people to nullify his plans and he's lost man after man trying to find the guilty one.

Fortunately, he wouldn't be finding one because when he kills one, I find another, and the circle repeats itself. Despite my efforts to reduce his men and help my wife, my bank account remains unchanged as I haven't made a dent in it yet.

I inch closer and closer to ambushing Javier every day, and my biggest help has been Miguel. In his father's absence, he has taken control of the mafia and he's joined forces with mine, but that didn't happen as soon as it should've.

He didn't even know his parents were being held until I located him in some random country and contacted him. He was with some woman for sure and was hence hesitant to leave, but I took it upon myself to make him understand the gravity of the situation and he was here a few hours later, undetected by Javier's radar.

"Have you found them?" I say to Miguel who was typing away on an Acer laptop like his life depended on it. It kind of did. My voice made him twitch a bit but he remained quiet which urged me to be quiet too. He was close to something and he wanted to revel in the few seconds before accomplishing it and the moment it finally hit.

A minute went by and I nearly broke a nervous sweat as I anticipated his response. A few more seconds passed and he let out a frustrated groan, fisted his hand, and banged it on the table before him.

"No luck, brother," he says, finally giving me recognition. In that moment, I wished I could teleport temporarily to an alternate universe and howl at the top of my voice. The separation was really getting to me and every time it dawned she wasn't with me and she was captive in that man's house, I wanted so badly to run into a concrete wall.

But I wasn't in an alternate universe, I couldn't be, so instead I let my hand slide into my hair, restraining myself from pulling it out as I turned my back to Miguel and started heading out of the room.

I needed to be alone.

I needed to think. She had been there for long enough and time was overdue.

I needed to do something.

I needed to let out this frustration.

"Just kidding," Miguel rasps out in an amused voice from behind me and I turn to face him and give him a look of confusion.

"I don't know why your jewelry tracker thingy suddenly stopped working but I think I got it to work and in the case it stops working again, I've got ten other alternatives. Never, doubt my abilities, Addy," My mouth subconsciously gapes at his revelation and just this once I ignore the derogatory name he's tormented me with the past month. Excitement wells through me and we both anticipate each other's next moves and slam our hands together in a congratulatory shake but I don't stop there as I pull his heavy ass from the chair and engulf him in a hug.

"You really thought I'd outburst like that? That's low, I don't handle things like that," he mutters to me as we part from the small hug and I chuckle.

"Let's get to the next step. Sooner we get things done, sooner that bastard dies and sooner I could finally let go of this guilt I've felt for so long for not believing my sister when she warned me all those years ago," he says and I feel a wave of pity for him. I'd never thought about how it must've affected him when he found out she was right but it was too late.

"And sooner I could be reunited with my girl," he makes an effort to quickly lighten up the mood and before I could question him about the one 'girl' he gave a title, he's already showing me all he's found out about their location.

••

After a few hours of work to get Novalie back, I decided I needed a breather. I've been working tirelessly day and night the past month and now that we have finally found their location a burden has been lifted off my shoulders.

Everything was finally ready and after a few more days to touch it up and set it up for perfection, we'd go get them.

I didn't want to be reckless, I didn't want to rush in and get killed and then there'd be no one to save my wife, I wanted perfection, a full proof plan, and absolution to save her and her parents, and now that things have finally clicked, I needed to breathe, to exhale.

I have spent a month holding my breath and treading on thin ice and right now I needed to go for a quick, quiet drive and be alone with my thoughts.

I picked up my gun, lifted myself from the chair, chose a car, got in, and started the engine.

I drive normally as I pass through other cars and make my way through the traffic and when I finally reach an open road I press my foot on the accelerator, savoring in the control and adrenaline.

I drive recklessly like a little boy freshly introduced to need for speed. All windows are wound down and I let the breeze go through my hair, pass through my loose shirt, and crawl through my skin just as Novalie's hands have done many times.

As if that wasn't enough for me, I feel the need to feel more so I click the button and roll off the targa top of my car, and just when I start to enjoy that even more as I drift through corners and feel myself calming down, it stops.

A car harshly crashes into mine and my car spins on impulse, runs off the road into the sidewalk, and smashes into a streetlight.

Just when everything steadies and I finally let go of the breath I'd been holding, the streetlight falls atop, crashes, and rollicks into my car.

°°°
Moral, drive safely kids. Don't be the inflictor or the guilty victim.

Drop your guesses on who crashed into his car!

Did y'all notice the subtle hint to Miguel's girl? Yes! Book two will be on Miguel and his love interest and I'm all up in my head about that one especially now that this one is nearing the end (about 5 chapters left) so get excited for that one!

Thanks for reading 🌚

Don't forget to vote, comment and share if you want to🥺 (ps: please do, it encourages me mightily)

Have a great day!❤️
~1155 words
•••